"there is, even now, something of ill-omen, amongst us. I mean the increasing
disregard for law which pervades the country; the growing disposition to
substitute the wild and furious passions, in lieu of the sober judgment of
Courts; and the worse than savage mobs, for the executive ministers of justice.
This disposition is awfully fearful in any community; and that it now exists in
ours, though grating to our feelings to admit, it would be a violation of
truth, and an insult to our intelligence, to deny."

- Abe Lincoln