On Sat, Aug 22, 2009 at 8:09 AM, dhamiltony2k5 <dhamiltony...@yahoo.com>wrote:

> "there is, even now, something of ill-omen, amongst us. I mean the
> increasing disregard for law which pervades the country; the growing
> disposition to substitute the wild and furious passions, in lieu of the
> sober judgment of Courts; and the worse than savage mobs, for the executive
> ministers of justice. This disposition is awfully fearful in any community;
> and that it now exists in ours, though grating to our feelings to admit, it
> would be a violation of truth, and an insult to our intelligence, to deny."
>
> - Abe Lincoln

Most rewarding is a study of American history and the history of American
politics.  One sees that booms and busts have been part of the American
scene.  That immorality, illegality, lack of respect for law and order.  All
of these have been here.  Witch hunts.  If it wasn't religion, it was race.
If it wasn't race it was demon rum or vile slavery.  It was the Italian
immigrants, the German immigrants, the Irish immigrants.  Today its smoking
and sex offenders.  Sex offenders are retried (and convicted) for the same
and single crime over and over again, even if the crime was merely to
relieve onself off a bit too much urine in a place that was less than
opportune.  These individuals are continuously hunted down.  Banned from
social sites, ban from towns, having to announce their presence wherever
they go.  All of the laws surrounding sex offenders and their new
limitations are passed after the person has been tried, convicted and
service his/her time.

It never ends.  It's just the same old, same old, based on different issues,
different circumstances.