> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "dhamiltony2k5" <dhamiltony2k5@> wrote:
> >
> > > I didn't bother to read it. I refer you instead
> > > to this writeup from Wikipedia, which I think
> > > better describes the phenomenon
> > > [ snip Wiki definition of "boogeyman" ]
> >
> > Oh no, Turq.  Sorry you missed it.
> > Yours is more descriptive while the other
> > Is more practical.  The other is more the
> > FF take on negativity.  The transcendental
> > Look.
>
> I see it as trying to put a New Age spin
> on the fact that they're focusing on their
> fears, personifying them, and indulging
> in them.

BTW, I did scan the letter you sent enough
to get the gist of it before I wrote this,
and as a result class it as the rank super-
stition I think it is, Doug. Although a
belief in "rakshasas" is not as prevalent
as a belief in the things in this article,
I'd class them all in the same category,
and a belief in "rakshasas" on the same
level as #5, voodoo. Same thing -- blaming
one's own problems on an outer malevolent
source.

http://www.cracked.com/article/139_5-ridiculous-ancient-beliefs-that-thrive-internet/

Just because it's old doesn't mean it's true.

And just because it provides a cool magical
explanation for a mundane phenomenon and
adds to one's own self importance (because
you think you "know" how things work) doesn't
mean that the magical explanation is true,
either.

The guy (I have to assume it's a guy, because
of the level of self importance) who wrote
the rap about rakshasas you like so much is
proposing it as a "sadhana" to kill rakashasas
and remove fear. And yet he's still "locked up
this way" with his own sister, after a whole
life together. Great "sadhana."