--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Hugo" <richardhughes...@...> wrote:

> Forget knowledge being structured in consciousness (whatever
> that means) and collapsing Ark sounds and take a look at where
> we actually came from:
>
> http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2009/oct/01/fossil-ardi-human-race
>
> Aint she pretty?

The NYTimes has a good story on this today.

The "multimedia" component has a nice graphic
of Ardi, full length, standing beside her
skeleton. I'm a little skeptical of the size of
her hands, though. They look way out of
proportion to her skull in comparison to any
other hominid type I've ever seen.

She has opposable thumbs on her feet. I'm
envious--that would be really, er, handy! But I
guess opposability had to go in favor of feet
better engineered for walking (and running)
upright.

It bothers me a little that the Times refers to
Ardi as "it." Seems to me she's enough like us
to deserve the dignity of a personal pronoun.

Paleoanthropologist make beeg joke:

"Andrew Hill, a paleoanthropologist at Yale
University...noted that Dr. White had kept
'this skeleton in his closet for the last 15
years or so, but I think it has been worth the
wait.'"

Maybe that's a cliche line among anthropologists,
but it cracked me up.

Of interest, perhaps, to advocates of the Caveman
Diet:

"The more than 145 teeth collected at the site
were of the size and shape and had wear
patterns showing that the individuals were
omnivorous eaters of plants and nuts, as well
as small mammals, but were not as big consumers
of fruits as are living chimps and gorillas."

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/02/science/02fossil.html?_r=1&pagewanted=1&hp

http://tinyurl.com/y8umxw3