> > You may not get a lot of intelligent response on
> > this from the American members of FFL. They are
> > not even going to be allowed to see the new film
> > on Darwin's life ("Creation," trailer below)

Oh, right, American members of FFL don't know nuttin'
'bout evolution. We have to depend on biopics to fill
us in, we're so goldurned ignorant.

> > because it's considered too controversial to be
> > released in America. One might suggest that in
> > addition to being pretty, Ardi was more evolved
> > than modern-day Americans. :-)
> >
> > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BREvUKpZTeU
>
> I stand corrected. As of September 24th, the
> film now has an American distributor willing
> to stand up to the fundamentalists. From Wiki:
>
> According to Jeremy Thomas [the producer], the United
> States was one of the last countries to find a distributor
> due to the prominence of the Creation–evolution controversy.

Uh-huh. I mean, it's not like it's in the producer's
interests or anything to make the film seem as
controversial as possible.

It would be interesting to interview some of the
distributors who passed on the film and find out what
their actual reasons were. It's gotten distinctly mixed
reviews, for one thing (the words "boring" and "mundane"
feature in several); for another, period films with a
domestic focus are typically not winners at the box
office in this country. They'd have good reasons not to
pick it up regardless of the fundamentalists.

> On September 24, 2009, Variety reported that Newmarket
> Films acquired the rights to the movie and plans to release
> it in December in the US.

Newmarket, BTW, was the distributor for Mel Gibson's
"Passion of the Christ," a fundamentalist's wet
dream.

Newmarket may foresee a bonanza if the same level of
controversy can be generated around "Creation."
And I seriously doubt U.S. fundamentalist leaders are
unhappy about the film being shown here; it's likely
to be a bonanza for them as well.

I strongly suspect the notion that the film is "too
controversial" to be shown here is a publicity
gimmick dreamed up by the producer and Newmarket,
maybe even with the assistance of fundamentalists
eager for another "outrage" to rally their troops.
And of course it's a big juicy gift for the America-
bashers and the left generally.

The film can't lose.