> -- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Vaj <vajradhatu@> wrote:
> >
> > On Nov 7, 2009, at 6:45 PM, off_world_beings wrote:
> > >
> > > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "ShempMcGurk"

> > > Fortunately no serious person on the planet puts your
> > > opinion over published scientific research.
> > >
> > Uh, they just got the grant Off. I realize the TMO has
> > already reached a conclusion, after all it's being done
> > by biased TB's, but please wait till they perform the
> > study to start saying it's published and that the results
> > were oh so great!
>
> That isn't even remotely what Off said, of course.
>
> Vaj lies *reflexively*, without thinking about it. He
> lies even when the refutation of the lie is quoted in
> the same post as the lie.

The TMO research will have a narrow focus on CHD.  All they are doing is adding
TM as a stress reduction program to an existing program, for which they have
already have predictable results they can compare with the addition of TM.
Have the Buddhist done a comparable study? Probably not, otherwise Vaj would be
crowing about it. Instead he makes knee-jerk put-downs of Schneider and
discounts the possibility that TM may actually produce an improvement for CHD
patients.  The very specific parameters of the TM study, which includes
visually studying PET blood flow to the heart, should produce some very
conclusive results.

How many here would wager that even if the TM study produces the results the
TMO hopes, Vaj will find a way to dismiss it without even reading the research?
 He will ALWAYS claim superiority of Buddhist research over TM but will never
shows us a single comparable study. Have the Buddhist subjected their cardiac
patients to a study like the one proposed by Schneider?  Probably not.

"And while standard cardiac rehabilitation usually includes supervised exercise
and lifestyle education, it does not usually include a formal stress reduction
program.

"Now, for the first time, this study will evaluate whether adding stress
reduction through the Transcendental Meditation technique to conventional
cardiac rehabilitation will aid in the treatment of serious CHD compared to
conventional cardiac rehabilitation alone," Dr. Schneider said.

Patients will be carefully evaluated before and after the study for changes in
their coronary artery disease with the most advanced noninvasive methods for
measuring cardiac function-PET or positron emission tomography. According to
Sabahat Bokhari, MD, Director of Nuclear Cardiology at Columbia University
Medical Center and study co-director, "PET is an innovative imaging technology
that allows us to visually and non-invasively study blood flow to the heart.
With this state-of-the-art technology, doctors can now measure the blood flow
to the heart and thus quantify the full impact of stress reduction on CHD."