--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, azgrey <no_re...@...> wrote:

> > > Don't you just *hate* those prairie dog fuckers?
> >
> > LOL.
> >
> > You should post more often, dude.
>
> Perhaps. I tend to just drop by and read, by message
> view, posts since I was last here. Interesting forum.
> Tedious at times, but often interesting. I have learned
> much by following FFL. I look forward to learning more.

Your comments on the fantasy of "vagina dentata"
were particularly...uh...pointed. The problem with
the women who obsess on it is that they imagine
that there are men who would be tempted to go any-
where *near* their vaginas. False premise. :-)

> > Your sense
> > of humor is one of the things that keeps me
> > around.
>
> You are too kind and push my humor buttons
> every time I visit FFL. I am always grateful
> for a good spontaneous laugh. Thanks.

Laughter is good. One of the other things that
keeps me around at FFL is the constant opportunity
for laughter.

> I just call 'em like I see 'em. Just when I think
> my odd sense of humor might be sullying
> the high vibe of a spiritual forum I read a post
> from one of the monitors about his sexual fantasy
> involving a former president and a male prostitute
> in the Oval Office. Go figure.

That was a classic, agreed.

> It is a marvel the level
> of obsessiveness shown by your pair of faux-feminist
> fans. They must dream about you.

Sometimes I think so. I was commenting yesterday on
another forum how pleasant it was there to log on
and find zero stalkers. Try to imagine what a change
that is for me. *Sixteen years*, and I know that no
matter what I do, every week a sizable portion of
the posts on FFL will be spewing hatred at me. What
I don't understand is how the spewers live with the
sense of *importance* that their obsession projects
onto me. One would think that if their goal was to
minimize me and my ideas they would obsess on me
*less*. Go figure.

> > Just on the off chance your Yahoo profile is
> > correct, have you ever been to a couple of my
> > favorite places of power near where you live?
> > Neither, as it turns out, is what most people
> > would think of as a "power place," but for me
> > they really are, FAR more powerful than the
> > "vortexes" they take the New Age rubes to in
> > and around Sedona.
> >
> > The first is a hotel, the Arizona Biltmore. It
> > was designed by one of Frank Lloyd Wright's
> > students, but with Wright assisting and -- some
> > say -- doing a lot of the design. Stunning. You
> > know how gazing at a beautiful vista like the
> > Grand Canyon inspires and uplifts? Just walking
> > around in this hotel does the same thing. It's
> > stunning.
> >
> > The second, of course, is Taliesin West. Wright
> > may have been a bit of a prick in real life, but
> > he was a genius with a T-square and a sheet of
> > blank paper. His houses for other people take
> > your breath away; this one he built for himself.
>
> My profile, brief as it is, is accurate.
>
> I am *very* familiar with the "places of power" you
> mention. I would add Grady Gammage Memorial
> Auditorium to your list and proclaim it as my favorite
> of the three. Have you been there?
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grady_Gammage_Memorial_Auditorium
> http://snipurl.com/t53q5

Don't know it. Maybe I'll get to that area again some-
day and if so I'll check it out. I do love Frank Lloyd
Wright and his sense of visual poetry.

> It has been years since I have visited the Biltmore.
> Several changes of ownership and at least two
> major renovations have transpired since I last
> leisurely absorbed the vibe there. I worked in the
> neighborhood for over 20 years and it isn't at all
> far from where I live in Scottsdale. Your post is just
> the reminder I needed. I will try and correct my absence
> before the year is up.
>
> Taliesin West used to be on a bicycle route I regularly
> followed. It is, broadly speaking, in my neighborhood.
> I must admit it has been at least 10 years since I visited.
> Great spot isn't it? Stories about Wright abound, obviously,
> in Arizona. He is/was a controversial dude who still inspires
> parlor gossip even among non-architects. Much of that
> consists of arguing over his actual contributions to the
> Biltmore and Grady Gammage. It would take a professional
> misanthrope on a level of authfiend to dispute his influence
> on Taliesin West. It is *pure* Frank Lloyd Wright. There are
> those who feel, quite strongly, that growth and development
> in the area surrounding Taliesin have greatly reduced the
> impact of it as a "place of power." The impact of his ability to
> reflect a "sense of place" is perhaps somewhat muted as the
> organics of the area have been so altered since his day. When
> were you last here?

I was last there about eight years ago.

I can see how development in the area might have
affected the views through the windows, which were
always a strong facet of Wright's designs. Some-
one once gave me a clue about appreciating a FLW
house, "Walk into the room and look around, but
then sit down." He designed all the views so that
they could only be fully appreciated while relaxing.

> Gammage Auditorium suffers the same criticism as the
> Guggenheim Museum in that it doesn't organically blend into
> the surrounding area. Pppshaw! That its construction occurred
> after Wright's death and that it was originally designed to be an
> opera house in Bagdad adds to its outofplaceness. It has
> the most outrageous acoustics I have ever heard. Violent
> Arizona summer storms used to commonly knock out the
> power for hours at a time. In Gammage they would simply
> place candles on stage and proceed with an un-amplified
> show. Maybe I'm easily impressed, but I had goosebumps
> realizing that crusty old fart had the skill to design so well.
> On some level it was akin to an experience of the transcendent.

For me it's that his designs "take you out of
yourself" and into a sense of "heightened space."
For many that reminds them of a "transcendental
experience." For me it just gets me high. And
that's a better experience than "transcending"
because you don't have to divorce yourself from
the world around you to experience it.  :-)