Sharp Decline in Support for Suicide Bombing in Muslim Countries
Pew Global Attitudes Project -Released: 07.24.07

Among the most striking trends in predominantly Muslim nations is the
continuing decline in the number saying that suicide bombing and other
forms of violence against civilians are justifiable in the defense of
Islam.

In Lebanon, Bangladesh, Pakistan and Indonesia, the proportion of
Muslims who view suicide bombing and other attacks against civilians as
being often or sometimes justified has declined by half or more over the
past five years.

Wide majorities say such attacks are, at most, rarely acceptable.
However, this is decidedly not the case in the Palestinian territories.
Fully 70% of Palestinians believe that suicide bombings against
civilians can be often or sometimes justified, a position starkly at
odds with Muslims in other Middle Eastern, Asian, and African nations.
  [Figure]
http://pewglobal.org/reports/display.php?ReportID=257

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Sal Sunshine <salsunsh...@...>
wrote:

> On Nov 22, 2009, at 1:54 PM, do.rflex wrote:
>

> >> Alright, at the risk of being so labelled, I'm
> >> going to quote from one of Sam Harris' books,
> >> The End of Faith, in which he starts out by describing
> >> a seemingly ordinary day in the life of a seemingly
> >> ordinary young man, as he boards a bus:
> >>
> >> "The young man takes his seat beside a middle-aged couple…
smiles.
> >> With the press of a button he destroys himself, the couple at his
> >> side, and twenty others on the bus. The nails, ball bearings, and
rat
> >> poison ensure further casualties on the street and in the
surrounding
> >> cars. All has gone according to plan.
> >> The young man's parents soon learn of his fate. Although saddened
> >> have lost a son, they feel tremendous pride at his accomplishment.
> >> They know that he has gone to heaven and prepared the way for them
> >> follow. He has also sent his victims to hell for eternity. It is a
> >> double victory.
> >>
> >> These are the facts. This is all we know for certain about the
young
> >> man…. Why is it so easy, then, so trivially
easy—you-could-almost-