You all know how much I love to spot trends. :-)
One trend I have noticed is that actual creativity
(and, as a result, the amount of actual content in
posts as opposed to the same old same old drivel)
waxes and wanes. NOT just on FFL; this seems to be
a larger phenomenon. That is, at the same time that
FFL "goes boring" and no one seems to be able to
come up with anything new to talk about, so do all
of the other forums I read.

But the fascinating thing for me is that when one
of these Boring Periods happens and no one seems
to have anything interesting to say, *posters tend to
fill the silence with arguing*.

It's as if arguing has become a form of misdirection
used by those who are bored and have nothing to
say, one that allows them to pretend that they have
something to say.

One way you can always tell when someone is arguing
just because they're bored and don't have anything to
say but feel compelled to say something anyway is what
I call the déjà vu factor. That's when someone is so
desperate to say something -- anything -- that they trot
out and restarts an argument they've had dozens of
times before.

This happens a LOT on Fairfield Life.

And it kinda makes me wonder about the intelligence of
the people who engage in the *same* argument over and
over -- week after week, month after month, year after
year -- and with the *same* people.

Are these people so stupid that they actually believe that
they'll "win" the argument this time, and finally convince
the other person that they're right? If that were true, it's
pretty much one of the textbook definitions of insanity:
doing the same thing over and over again and expecting
a different result.

It seems to me that with regard to several déjà vu arguments
-- like the existence or non-existence of global warming, the
idiocy or non-idiocy of Sarah Palin, the "bestness" or the
ordinariness of TM, etc. -- everyone here already knows
what they believe. What they believe on these subjects is
never going to change.

So why do they keep arguing about them, *as if* they could
somehow change the other people's minds?

I think it's because the people rerunning these same déjà vu
arguments over and over and over are bored and can't think
of anything else to say.

It's just a theory. And one that is easily disproved.

All that the chronic arguers who keep arguing the same déjà
vu arguments over and over and over would have to do to
disprove it is to post something creative and new.

I'll wait...