do.rflex wrote:
> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Bhairitu <noozg...@...> wrote:
>
>> Result of temporary Christmas hiring.  Happens every year.  Many will
>>
> be
>
>> laid off in January.
>>

> The decrease in unemployment numbers has been occurring since January
> and it certainly isn't all due to "Christmas hiring."
>
>        In the strongest employment report since the recession began
> nearly two years ago, the government said Friday that the nation's
> employers had all but stopped shedding jobs in November, taking some of
> the pressure off of President Obama to come up with a wide-ranging jobs
> creation program.
> The Labor Department reported that the United States economy lost 11,000
> jobs in November, and the unemployment rate fell to 10 percent, down
> from 10.2 percent in October.
>
> The government also significantly revised its September and October job
> loss estimates.
>

> September's data was adjusted to show a loss of 139,000 jobs instead
> of 219,000, and in October 111,000 jobs were lost, instead of 190,000.
>

> Even allowing for the November loss, the revisions added 148,000 people
> to the list of those employed in the United States in November.
>
> Though the pace of job loss has been declining since a peak in January,
> the November number was surprising. Economists had been expecting a
> turning point to come in the late spring or summer, with employers
> finally adding workers as a recovery takes hold. The last time the
> number was so bright was in December 2007, when the economy added
> 120,000 jobs.
> http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/05/business/economy/05jobs.html?_r=1&hp

Come up from Brazil and take a look around.  The government hasn't been
reporting accurate unemployment for years.  Many have just given up and
don't ask me how they survive.  They don't count people like me who do
contracting and move in and out of bust and boom periods.  And what are
the new jobs paying?  Probably not the wages some people have been used
to earning.  I know there are older folks working a Starbucks who
probably had much better paying gigs in the past.  I also suspect my
server at the restaurant the other day (notches above what you'd expect)
also took the job paying less than what he was earning.

The Republicans trashed the US Economy and sold our asses to the
Chinese.  And I don't expect Obama, who seems to have been part of a
secret (or not so) Wall Street coup, to produce miracles.

And given the report on the coming "ice age" (the one the other day was
not the first) we should all be joining you.  In fact when I read the
first report from the Pentagon several years ago a song "let's all move
down to South America" popped into my head loosely based on that old
movie theater snack ad "let's go out to the lobby."  ;-)