Vaj's dishonesty continues to infect this
forum. His lies are most egregious when he's
been caught in a falsehood and is trying to
exonerate himself, as in this case.

His very deliberate misrepresentations of
the Journal of Scientific Exploration,
intended to put TM research in a bad light
because TM has published one article in the
journal, are quite directly parallel to the
misrepresentations of the climate-change
deniers with regard to the hacked emails. Hard
up for evidence to support their perspective,
in both cases they have to resort to inventing
it--and hope that their audience will be too
lazy and credulous to check up on them.

Vaj has repeatedly referred to the Journal of
Scientific Exploration as "a UFO journal" (or
"UFO journals," to make it sound as though
TM regularly publishes in many such journals).
Up till now, he hasn't actually named the
journal, knowing that if he were to do so and
anyone were to check up on his claim, they'd
realize it was a lie.

But apparently he *did* read my latest post
pointing out that he was lying, or someone
told him about it, so he figured he'd brazen
it out by naming the journal and then telling
a bunch of detailed lies about the nature of
the journal.

That's a standard technique of malicious
propagandists: citing what they purport to be
documentation of their false claims that
actually doesn't support the claims at all.
They figure folks won't other to check but
will just assume that if the propagandist
provides a citation, it must be because it
backs up what the propagandist has said.

Which is exactly what Vaj did:

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Vaj <vajradh...@...> wrote:
<snip>
> The current issue has papers on the Loch
> Ness monster and several UFO papers.
> It's always a hoot to look at when you
> need a good laugh. And of course MUM
> "researchers" publish there now.
> It looks like they've finally found their
> niche in the scientific community!
> http://www.scientificexploration.org/journal.html

In fact, TM researchers have published there
*once*. There's no indication whatsoever of a
trend, contrary to Vaj's knowingly disingenuous
implication.

And in fact, Vaj has no idea what's in the
current issue, because its contents aren't
listed on the Web site.

The latest issue whose contents are listed is
the third issue for 2008 (the journal is a
quarterly).

Maybe Vaj was hoping folks wouldn't notice
if he described the contents of the *first*
issue listed, published in 1987, and said it
was the current issue.

And even so he misrepresents the contents:
there was *one* article on the Loch Ness
monster and *one* article on UFOs. (Another
malicious propagandist's trick is to use
plurals when referring to a single instance.)

Neither paper took a believer's stance. Both
were scholarly analyses of available materials
on their topics (the PDFs of the articles are
available on the page).

The other articles in the first issue: "A Brief
History of the Society for Scientific
Exploration"; "Alterations in Recollection
of Unusual and Unexpected Events"; "Toward a
Quantitative Theory of Intellectual Discovery
(Esp. in Phys.)"; and "Engineering Anomalies
Research." PDFs for all these are available
on the page.

The last issue listed for which PDFs are
available is from 2007. The last issue listed
containing an article on UFOs is 2006 (and
that was simply a historical review of the
information that has accumulated, pro and con.)

But let's look at the titles of the articles in
the most recent issue listed, the third for 2008:

Unusual Atmospheric Phenomena Observed Near
  Channel Islands, UK, 23 April 2007
The GCP Event Experiment: Design, Analytical
  Methods, Results
New Insights into the Links between ESP and
  Geomagnetic Activity
Phenomenology of N,N-Dimethyltryptamine Use: A
  Thematic Analysis
Altered Experience Mediates the Relationship
  between Schizo-typy and Mood Disturbance during
  Shamanic-Like Journeying
Persistence of Past-Life Memories: Study of Adults
  Who Claimed in Their Childhood to Remember a
  Past Life

Gee, nothing about UFOs or the Loch Ness monster.

In fact, of the approximately 500 articles the
journal has published since 1987, around 25
have been about UFOs--5 percent. (The frequency
of such articles has declined steadily over the
years.)

In Vaj's mind, 5 percent is enough to smear
JSE--and the TM researchers--by calling it a
"UFO journal." No wonder he didn't name it for
so long.

Now he thinks he can wiggle out from under that
lie by identifying the journal and *lying about
what it contains*.

I've looked at a bunch of the PDFs available on
the article listings that deal with some of the
more far-out phenomena. None that I've examined
credulously promotes the phenomena they deal with.
At most, they analyze skeptical debunkings and
point out where they're inadequate to explain the
phenomena.

Many of the articles are purely sociological;
the Loch Ness monster article in the first
issue, for example, categorizes the reports
found in different media (newspapers,
magazines, books) as to their relative levels
of belief in the phenomenon, as well as their
accuracy as to the hard facts involved. The
conclusions of the study are that newspaper
articles are the least credulous, as well as
being the least accurate; and that books are
the most credulous *and* the most accurate.

Anybody who actually *reads* any of the
articles will see that they're not gee-whiz
endorsements of unusual phenomena; they're
serious scholarly attempts to examine the
evidence for them pro and con. Some of the
papers are of the type you'd expect to find
in  Skeptical Inquirer, in fact: one, for
instance, debunks several published scientific
studies on crop circles that purport to
document anomalies that rule out human origin;
another debunks "spirit photographs."

There are also papers that reflect on how
people deal with anomalous phenomena. One from
1988 by Bauer, for example, is titled
"Commonalities in Arguments over Anomalies."
The author makes an interesting point:

"The study of anomalies...can usefully bring to
our attention the substantial areas of
ignorance that subsist at the edges and
interstices of established knowledge."

This statement epitomizes the purpose and
approach of the Journal of Scientific
Exploration. If you want to call that
"pseudoscience," you're only revealing your own
intellectual rigidity and lack of curiosity.

Or, of course, your desire to smear a movement
you have a grudge against.