--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "authfriend"

<compost1uk@> wrote:

> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "authfriend"
<jstein@> wrote:

[snip]
> > I'm sorry you choose to perpetuate that silly
> > and intellectually disreputable use of the
> > word "deniers". For shame. How can you live
> > with yourself?
>
> Oh, please. You've used the term yourself:
>
> "Or try this very thoughtful analysis from Judy Curry,
> a climate scientist who again is NOT in the denier
camp:"
[/snip]

Oh Judy - you've confused a debating point for
something that matters:

---------------------------
Coloured person to whitey some day some time ago:

"The trouble with you master is that you won't treat
us niggers as human beings"

Then a day or two later:

"And another thing master, we think that the word
'nigger' is disrespectful"

Whitey (a smug smile playing around his lips): "Oh,
please! YOU used the term yourself just the other day.
Don't you remember?"
---------------------------

Yeah, right.

Yes I used the term "denier" - but the context should
be obvious to you (viz. trying to engage with people
who seem to think that those who hold differing views
are variously irredeemably stupid, contemptible,
selfish, polluters, and, of course "in denial").

The subtext of this word denial hardly needs to be
spelled out does it?

It is either attempting to make an association with
holocaust deniers, or to invoke the idea of
"psychological denial".

By using either (with intent - see my first point), I
don't think you are covering yourself in rational
glory. In fact I think it makes those that stoop that
low, look transaparently ignorant. I am not used to
seeing you in that light.

And given that it is generally folks that do this that
also seem to be persuaded that they stand on the
rational high ground - it is deeply ironic.

Of course in the public domain the term is used in an
"end justifies the means" strategy to try to elbow and
bully critics out beyond the pale. But as this is
ultimately a scientific question, and as a progressive
and rationalist you should "stand up" for Science,
then it is in fact YOU, not I (a sceptic) that should
be at the forefront of protest on this point. By
discrediting yourself in this way you harm the genuine
arguments that can be made for your cause.

As do the exposed emails.

Which is exactly the point you make later in your post
(and with which you are in contradiction as long as
you waltz around calling folks "deniers"):

> The whole "tribalism" thing needs to be cleaned
> up, unquestionably, but not because it
> legitimately calls the science in question. It
> needs to be cleaned up because it gives the
> anti-AGW folks weapons they can misuse--*have
> been* misusing--to shake the public's faith
> in the science.

Some unsolicted advice to those on your side of the
debate?

* Stop using the word "denier"
interesting) conjecture of AGW "anthropomorphic global
warming" and drop the glib, unfalsifiable "climate
change"
* Dump the picture in your head that you are the
beacons of rationality whose only critics are the
stupid, misinformed, illiterate barbarians at the gate.

Finally (I'm not done yet!):

You quoted David Hume yesterday. If you are not
already familiar with him, why not try the great
American philosopher and scientist C.S. peirce? You
know what he thought? - The greatest (and only)
enemies of Science are those who seek to close down
debate.

And I have no doubt Hume would have agreed.

The term "denier" in this debate is the tool of those
who are the real enemies of Science.

OK... gasp for breath...now I'm done.