--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Mike Dixon <mdixon.6...@...> wrote:

> Shemp, you to, are right. But world opinion would not
> allow us to bomb the living f...@#^% out of an enemy, even
> if they nuked us first.

Oh, really?

> But the cost of doing nothing and allowing  a country to
> be a home base for terrorism to launch attacks against our
> homeland would be even costlier, remember the the recession
> it caused following 9/11.

The economic effects of the 9/11 attacks were almost
entirely due to our irrational *fear*. The actual
damage caused by terrorist attacks pales in comparison
to the damage the attackees inflict on themselves in
the aftermath.

Terrorist attacks--even a nuke attack--don't pose an
existential threat to this country in and of
themselves. It's how we respond to them that poses the
existential threat--not just at home with regard to
infringement on our civil liberties and destruction of
our constitutional principles, but abroad in unbelievably
costly wars that sap our economic well-being, not to
mention the tragedy of mass slaughter, not to mention
the loss of goodwill internationally.

And the heck of it is, all the wars and super-duper
security are *unlikely to prevent* further attacks.
We've just been lucky so far; it won't last forever.