> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Mike Dixon <mdixon.6569@> wrote:
> >
> > ... This is my only real criticizm of the flilm, however,
> > it's still a must see just to witness the direction movies
> > are going in the future. I can only imagine what could be
> > done using this technology to bring the Mahabharata and
> > Ramayana to film.
>
> The real wonder of it all, Mike, is how it all
> works while *making* the movie. Cameron was not
> content with shooting his characters against a
> green screen and seeing the results only weeks
> or months later when all the special effects
> had been added. Nope...perfectionist control
> freak that he is, he had to invent a way to
> see it in *real time*, as he was filming.
>
> Article from Wired UK on how it all works below.
> Yes, on one level AVATAR is a game-changer because
> of what appears onscreen in the final product. But
> it's FAR more of a game-changer for filmmakers,
> who can now actually see what they are creating
> as they create it.
>
> http://www.wired.co.uk/wired-magazine/archive/2010/01/features/the-creation-of-avatar.aspx

Again, yawn.

Perhaps this is something new for green screen technology filming but it
certainly is not new as far as "filmmakers who can now actually see what they
are creating as they create it" is concerned.

For over 30 years now filmmakers have employed a simultaneous video-taping
camera along with the actual film-camera filming of every scene they do.
Seconds after a scene is shot, the director has been able to view a video-taped
version of what he has just shot on a video monitor beside his director's chair.

And who was it that invented this technology?  No less a whack-job than Jerry
Lewis who, I believe, took out a patent on it.