--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Archer" <r...@...> wrote:
<snip>
> Here's my take on the subject, my opinions having been formed
> by reading many books, seeing videos, gut feelings, private
> conversations with LB Shriver (just kidding!), etc.:
>
> Infinite intelligence is omnipresent and omnipotent. It's
> "potency" is its impulse to express itself as fully as it
> can in every circumstance. Therefore, the universe is
> teeming with life at all stages of development. There are
> countless highly evolved civilizations in every galaxy.
> The Earth has been visited throughout history by
> representatives of many of these civilizations and is
> still being visited.

I can at least tentatively sign on to the last part of
this, that we have been and are still being visited--
although what "visited" means in this context is unclear,
and I even question whether beings from planets elsewhere
in the galaxy (or other galaxies) are involved.

Maybe I should put it this way: I think many of the
phenomena reported are real, in the sense that they aren't
just pure fantasies on the part of those who report them.
*Something* is actually going on.

I can't go along with any of the rest of what Rick says.
I don't think we have any good basis for understanding
what these phenomena represent. I suspect folks may be
creating fantasies *around* the phenomena, especially
in terms of the intentions of these purported beings.

I'm dubious about any attempt to nail down what's behind
the phenomena because my impression has been that their
primary characteristic is that *they don't make any sense*.
To make sense out of them, you have to be very selective
about what you take into account. Any sensible frame must
ignore chunks of what has been reported.

FWIW, I've had two good UFO sightings, both several decades
ago, both over New York City, seen from my apartment.

One was of two glowing orange-red cigar-shaped objects that
appeared near dusk moving through a cloudless sky for about
5-10 seconds and then disappeared; my sister was with me at
the time, and she saw them too. The setting sun was at the
wrong angle to have been illuminating them.

The other was at night, by myself. I watched for a good
five minutes as a set of lights moved very slowly from the northeastern horizon
straight toward me and right over my
apartment building. To start with, they appeared as a single
very bright light and resolved as they got closer into the
standard boomerang-shape that's been reported many times in
many different places (although I didn't find this out until
later), five or seven (can't remember now) bright lights in
a huge, rock-solid V-formation, moving much more slowly than
any airplane, and in total silence.

In both cases, local news had no reports of anyone else
having seen these things.

Especially with regard to the boomerang object, that makes
no sense. I lived smack in the middle of Manhattan, and it
was moving over a very densely populated area around nine
or ten at night. The lights were bright enough and moving
slowly enough, and looked strange enough, that hundreds of
people should have seen them and realized how weird they
were. There should have been a major flap, as there was
with similar formations over Phoenix some years back. The
damn thing was moving straight downtown, right along
Manhattan's lengthwise axis!

I have no explanation. I wasn't hallucinating. I had no
particular interest in UFOs at the time, wasn't even
aware that the boomerang formation had been frequently
reported. Could this have been a special "showing" just
for me? *Why*? It didn't affect my life, didn't turn me
into a UFO nut. It did increase my interest in UFO
reports, but not to the point of preoccupation; UFOs
are just one of many different things I'm interested in,
most of which are perfectly "normal."

And as I said, I'm highly skeptical of any attempt to
interpret the phenomena.

Maybe there's some Grand Design that humans simply don't
have the cognitive ability to recognize. But if that's
the case, why do "they" bother? What could "they" hope
to gain?

Just doesn't make any sense.