--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Hugo" <richardhughes...@...> wrote:

> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Hugo" <richardhughes103@> wrote:
> > <snip>
> > > The vast majority of UFO
> > > sightings are mispercieved naturally occuring or man made
> > > objects, the latest triangle shapes are usually high
> > > altitude fighter planes with their re-fueling lights on,
> > > eery and silent.
> >
> > FWIW, from my NYC apartment window I saw lots of big
> > commercial jets fly over the top of my building. From
> > time to time, I'd see one flying quite low in comparison
> > to the normal altitude, due to weather or some other
> > peculiarity of the flight pattern that day. My attention
> > would be drawn to it because the engine noise was so
> > loud.
> >
> > The boomerang formation of lights I saw from that window
> > some years ago was the apparent width of two of those
> > jets flying wingtip to wingtip at that altitude. Its
> > apparent speed was much slower than that of such a plane,
> > and I could hear no sound at all.
> >
> > If it had actually been flying much higher--which would
> > account for the apparent slow speed and absence of engine
> > noise--it would have had to be *gigantic*, Star Wars-size.
> >
> > IOW, definitively not a high-altitude fighter plane.
> >
> > It *could* have been seven (or five, can't remember how
> > many lights there were) helicopters, each bearing a very
> > bright spotlight, connected by some sort of frame to
> > rigidly maintain their relative position. That would
> > account for the apparent size and speed. But they would
> > have to have been flying so low that their motors would
> > have been distinctly audible (a larger frame would not
> > have been rigid enough to keep them from moving relative
> > to each other).
>
> I know it's probably a bit late but a phone call to the
> airport might have revealed what they had flying around,
> assuming they knew themselves! There have been many near
> collisions between airliners and mystery craft it's always
> assumed they are military test planes but the military
> say that they wouldn't be so stupid as to fly in flight
> lanes near airports.

Much less a flight path that went straight down the middle
of Manhattan Island, at an hour when lots of people would
still be up and about on the streets. And anybody with a
north or northeast-facing window on an upper floor (I was
on the 11th floor) could have seen it.

But as far as I know there were no reports in the media.
Hundreds of people should have seen this thing and realized
it wasn't a normal aircraft; wouldn't any of them have
called the police or local radio stations or newspapers?

 Jenny Randles (a very open minded but
> rational UFO researcher) wrote a good book about it:

In some ways the open-minded but rational research is the
most frustrating, because with the cases that can't be
dismissed, it never seems to add up to anything that
makes sense.

If you're willing to ignore big chunks of the evidence,
you can either come up with elaborate Space Brother
scenarios (for the believers) or those in which it's
all down to birds or hallucinations or the planet Venus
(for the skeptopaths). The *genuine* skeptics (open-minded
and rational) just end up with a contradictory muddle.

> http://www.amazon.co.uk/Something-Air-Sensational-Encounters-Aircraft/dp/0709059744/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1262082593&sr=1-3
>
> Definitely *something* going on...

That's all I'm willing to say.