A philosophy professor from New Zealand recalls the
Y2K apocalypticism at the dawn of the last decade:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/01/opinion/01dutton.html

"'The Y2K Nightmare' caught the sensationalist tone,
claiming that 'folly, greed and denial' had 'muffled
two decades of warnings from technology experts.'"

"Denial" - how useful that word is for the faux
rationalists!

"KNOWING our computers is difficult enough. Harder
still is to know ourselves, including our inner
demons. From today's perspective, the Y2K fiasco seems
to be less about technology than about a morbid
fascination with end-of-the-world scenarios. This
ought to strike us as strange."

"Apocalyptic scenarios are a diversion from real
problems — poverty, terrorism, broken financial
systems — needing intelligent attention. Even
something as down-to-earth as the swine-flu scare has
seemed at moments to be less about testing our health
care system and its emergency readiness than about the
fate of a diseased civilization drowning in its own
fluids. We wallow in the idea that one day everything
might change in, as St. Paul put it, the "twinkling of
an eye" — that a calamity might prove to be the longed-
for transformation. But turning practical problems
into cosmic cataclysms takes us further away from
actual solutions.

This applies, in my view, to the towering seas,
storms, droughts and mass extinctions of popular
climate catastrophism. Such entertaining visions owe
less to scientific climatology than to eschatology,
and that familiar sense that modernity and its
wasteful comforts are bringing us closer to a biblical
day of judgment. As that headline put it for Y2K,
predictions of the end of the world are often
intertwined with condemnations of human "folly, greed
and denial." Repent and recycle!"