--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Hugo" <richardhughes...@...> wrote:

> In 1999 I was working for a technology PR company that
> monitored Y2K stories for a 'well known software giant'
> and it seemed to me that the stories of impending doom
> came primarily from newspapers desperate to sell copy
> and from computer companies trying to make a buck riding
> on the wave of hysteria.
> The best post apocalypse show ever made. As bleak as the
> day is long. I like my doom and gloom.

By the way, not to get into the "debate" any
deeper than to laugh at one side of it, I have
a similar experience of Y2K to pass along.

I made a *shitload* of money from Y2K. I worked
on an *enormous* Y2K project for a major American
retailer for almost a year. At such extravagant
rates that I won't embarrass them by naming the
corporation. I worked not on the programming side
but in configuration management, trying to make
sure that every line of code that made up the
thousands of programs that supported their tens
of thousands of employees and millions of customers
were archived somewhere in source code control, so
that they could be fixed if Y2K broke them. My side
of the project took a year because we found less
than 20% of these corporate assets *were* under
source code control when we started.

Willy doesn't know his Y2K ass from a hole in the
ground. It wasn't about DOS; it was about mainframes,
and primarily the COBOL programs still running on
those mainframes. Y2K brought tens of thousands of
retired COBOL programmers out of retirement to work
on it. I assume they padded their pockets as much
as I did.

Anyway, the managers of this company's Y2K project
decided to attempt to justify their effort by running
not only the new versions of all the programs they'd
"fixed" on January 1st, but the *old*, "unfixed"
versions as well, running in parallel. They did this
for a week, and then filed their report to the board.

The report stated with some pride that not a single
program they had "fixed" crashed due to a Y2K bug
during this week-long period.

The report never mentioned that not a single "unfixed"
program running during the same test period had crashed.