--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "PaliGap" <compost...@...> wrote:

> "Apocalyptic scenarios are a diversion from real
> problems — poverty, terrorism, broken financial
> systems — needing intelligent attention. Even
> something as down-to-earth as the swine-flu scare has
> seemed at moments to be less about testing our health
> care system and its emergency readiness than about the
> fate of a diseased civilization drowning in its own
> fluids. We wallow in the idea that one day everything
> might change in, as St. Paul put it, the "twinkling of
> an eye" — that a calamity might prove to be the longed-
> for transformation. But turning practical problems
> into cosmic cataclysms takes us further away from
> actual solutions.
>
> This applies, in my view, to the towering seas,
> storms, droughts and mass extinctions of popular
> climate catastrophism. Such entertaining visions owe
> less to scientific climatology than to eschatology,
> and that familiar sense that modernity and its
> wasteful comforts are bringing us closer to a biblical
> day of judgment. As that headline put it for Y2K,
> predictions of the end of the world are often
> intertwined with condemnations of human "folly, greed
> and denial." Repent and recycle!"

Amen.

I've always noticed that the same people who
become hung up on apocalypse fantasies are
also the ones most invested in "Beam Me Up
Scotty Syndrome." They're always looking for
something *outside themselves* to resolve
things for them. And for many of them, the
world ending resolves them quite nicely of
responsibility to solve things themselves.

I've also noticed that a lot of the people
who get off on apocalypse fantasies buy into
the concept that the purpose of life is to
extinguish life. That is, they really buy
that "the ultimate goal of life is to get off
the wheel of incarnation and rebirth."

Not my idea of much of a purpose. I think such
a world view was promoted by people who were
always *afraid* of life and more driven by
narcissism and their own desires than by caring
for others. And that includes IMO any spiritual
teacher in history who preached "avoiding
rebirth" as the "goal" of living. How is that
point of view NOT narcissistic and self-serving?
It's basically a way of saying, "My bliss is
more important than yours. Why should I stick
around to help others or teach them anything
if I can just dissolve into the ocean of bliss?"

It's basically the spiritual counterpart of the
"Me-first-ism" we see preached by the Capitalists
here. Having as one's goal the cessation of the
incarnational process is essentially a way of
saying, "Fuck you! All that matters is my own
eternal bliss."

I like the teachers and traditions who think about
enlightenment the least, and spend the majority of
their time trying to do as many nice things for
others as possible. Those people don't tend to
focus on "getting off the wheel" and "avoiding
reincarnation." They don't get hung up on apoca-
lypse fantasies as a way of hoping that non-
incarnation happens sooner. They *look forward*
to the next incarnation as much as they look
forward to the next day. Both provide a new
opportunity to do for others.

Only someone who cares more about "doing for them-
selves" looks forward to the next day never coming.
Or worse, never coming again.

Just my opinion...