--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "PaliGap" <compost...@...> wrote:

> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "PaliGap" <compost1uk@> wrote:
> > <snip>
> > [quoting "a philosophy professor from New Zealand":]
> > >
> > > "Apocalyptic scenarios are a diversion from real
> > > problems — poverty, terrorism, broken financial
> > > systems — needing intelligent attention.
> >
> > As if poverty, terrorism, and broken financial
> > systems didn't have their own apocalyptic scenarios.
>
> Well no. That's exactly the trouble with poverty. It
> is NOT "apocalyptic". Neither is terrorism going to
> bring the "end of the world". Nor even banks going
> bust.

All three could bring about apocalyptic (i.e.,
disastrous) change, especially in combination.

Don't play word games by equating "apocalyptic"
with "end of the world." Nobody's saying climate
change is going to bring about the end of the
world either.

> The world CAN live with poverty very easily and very
> well, thank you very much.

Only up to a point. Ditto for terrorism and
broken financial systems.

 And will carry on doing so
> all the more in my view if we fret irrationally over
> CO2 in such an apocalyptic way. If false, the alarmism
> will represent a gigantic diversion from the real issues.
> That will have substantial consequences for the
> needy. We need rice and water, not wind farms.

And if true and we ignore it?

There will be far worse "consequences for the needy."
Climate change is *already* having severe effects on
the needy.

> So is it false? Now there's a question.
>
> Poverty is a fact. Terrorism is a fact. These
> need our full attention.

Lots of things need our full attention.

> I do not consider CO2 alarmism to be reasonably "based
> on fact" (sound science). A decade ago I was similarly
> sceptical about Y2K and puzzled as to how this "meme"
> (if that is the right concept) had gained such enormous
> power.

And apparently completely missed the fact that the
"alarmism" resulted in actions taken to successfully
defang Y2K. It was a real threat, averted because
attention was paid to it.