> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "PaliGap" <compost1uk@> wrote:
> <snip>
> [quoting "a philosophy professor from New Zealand":]
> >
> > "Apocalyptic scenarios are a diversion from real
> > problems — poverty, terrorism, broken financial
> > systems — needing intelligent attention.
>
> As if poverty, terrorism, and broken financial
> systems didn't have their own apocalyptic scenarios.

Well no. That's exactly the trouble with poverty. It
is NOT "apocalyptic". Neither is terrorism going to
bring the "end of the world". Nor even banks going
bust.

The world CAN live with poverty very easily and very
well, thank you very much. And will carry on doing so
all the more in my view if we fret irrationally over
CO2 in such an apocalyptic way. If false, the alarmism
will represent a gigantic diversion from the real issues.
That will have substantial consequences for the
needy. We need rice and water, not wind farms.

So is it false? Now there's a question.

Poverty is a fact. Terrorism is a fact. These
need our full attention.

I do not consider CO2 alarmism to be reasonably "based
on fact" (sound science). A decade ago I was similarly
sceptical about Y2K and puzzled as to how this "meme"
(if that is the right concept) had gained such enormous
power.