Judy's habitual fallback to "dishonest" gets my goat.

The background was:

1) An article by philosopher Denis Dutton:
 http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/01/opinion/01dutton.html

In a nutshell he argued that "Apocalyptic scenarios"
are a diversion from real problems. As well as Y2K he
includes catastrophic climate change alarmism in that
bag.

2) Me: "I do not consider CO2 alarmism to be
reasonably "based on fact" (sound science). A decade
ago I was similarly sceptical about Y2K and puzzled as
to how this "meme" (if that is the right concept) had
gained such enormous power"

3) Judy: "And apparently completely missed the fact
that the "alarmism" resulted in actions taken to
successfully defang Y2K. It was a real threat, averted
because attention was paid to it."

4) Me (a Mullah Nasrudin story):  "A friend noticed
that every morning Mulla Nasrudin would sprinkle
crumbs on his doorstep. 'Why do you do that, friend?'
: 'To keep the lions away' : 'But there aren't any
lions here?' : 'See, it works!'"

5) So here we go, here goes Judy: "Anytime you want to
change your approach and have an intellectually honest
discussion, just let me know, OK?"

6) I protested at that. And here's how Judy responded:

"Then *argue* it, with facts and logic. *Document*
that nothing that was done about Y2K was actually
necessary. Don't hide behind a Nasrudin teaching story
as if that were a definitive response."

So let's look at that.

bald assertion. There is no presentation of evidence.

That's why the Nasrudin story is to the point. The
Nasrudin story is a charming way of presenting what
would otherwise be a dry point. Viz:

:: The failure of a catastrophic scenario to
materialise can never IN ITSELF count as justification
for any steps we may have taken to avert it ::

(Think priests praying to avert the end of the world
next Thursday and then telling you smugly on Friday
"we told you so").

But in the absence of evidence - that is all Judy's
asserion at (3) is. So, in other words that's what the
Nasrudin story is - it's a request for evidence.

And that is supposed to be "intellectually dishonest"?

By Judy's lights "intellectual dishonesty" is padded
out to mean "*argue* it, with facts and logic". (A
bizarre padding out, but let's leave that aside).

Well  I have now spelled out how the Nasrudin story is
an argument (not that it should have needed that).

But what about facts? The only such items appearing in
the thread so far can be sourced from our side of the
debate and not from Judy's lofty tones. This evidence
was on the table (not that I think that's where the
burden of proof should lie. Again, think praying
priests). Judy ignored it. Our philosopher friend from
New Zealand had pointed out that the consequences were
pretty much the same whether countries panicked about
Y2K, or whether they didn't. He identified those
countries too. He made a case.

Judy made no case in response save to fire off her
blunderbuss. That's not "*arguing* it, with facts and
logic" I'd say.

As a second attempt to justify the use of
"intellectual dishonesty" we have this:

Me: "Do you think I DON'T believe it is valid?
Because that would be "dishonest" I suppose."

Judy: "No. I'm saying your use of the Nasrudin story
is a thought-stopper, a way to avoid making a cogent
argument."

Is the Nasrudin story a "thought stopper"? No, it is a
valid point (see above). Perhaps Judy is confusing her
thoughts stopping for its being a thought stopper?

Does Judy marshall any evidence, any facts or logic,
for it being a thought stopper? Oh no. It's just
another bald assertion. So what does that say about
THAT point then (by Judy's own stance)..."intellectual
dishonesty"? By using "thought stopper" here, is not
Judy herself "hiding behind a thought stopper"?

And finally we have this afterthought:

Judy: "*And* you're using Y2K as a stand-in for
climate change, so you're trying to short-circuit
argument about that at the same time."

This is nonsense of course. There is NO attempt
whatsoever by anyone to claim that the the evidence
(such as it is) for what Judy refers to as "climate
change" (silly phrase for the scientific conjecture)
has anything whatsoever to do with the Y2K phenomenon.
What it IS is a cultural observation about how (in our
opinion) highly technical issues can be hijacked and
re-packaged by politicians and the media so that the
facts about the evidence get obscured. And the
conjecture is that it is connected with some sort of
wish or attraction that our culture has for dooom &
gloom scenarios.

This is what I wrote: "I do not consider CO2 alarmism
to be reasonably "based on fact" (sound science)." Do
you see that? No mention of Y2K.

The scientific cash-value of statements such as Judy's
"Climate change is *already* having severe effects on
the needy" interest me. I wonder if the concept of
"intellectual dishonesty" could gain better purchase
there?