--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, ruthsimplicity <no_re...@...> wrote:

> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, ruthsimplicity <no_reply@> wrote:
> > >
> > > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, nablusoss1008 <no_reply@> wrote:
> > > >
> > <snip>
> > >
> > > I appreciate your perspective on this.  But TM or even the
> > > Siddhis were never promoted as something that required a
> > > disciplined lifestyle. Or do you just mean the discipline
> > > to meditate twice a day?
> >
> > Get enough rest and exercise, eat right, etc. Standard
> > recommendations for healthy living (in addition to regular
> > practice, of course). You must have had a very different
> > TM course than I did if you never encountered them.
>
> All I said was that TM and the siddhis were not promoted
> as requiring a disciplined lifestyle.

Nor did Nabby or I say they were. There's no "but" here.

Both TM and the TM-Sidhis teach that following standard
recommendations for a healthy lifestyle will enable you
to get the most out of your practice.

> Of course, the TMO on www.tm.org still promotes basic TM
> as not requiring any lifestyle changes at all.
> Specifically, "The Transcendental Meditation technique is
> not a religion or philosophy and involves no change in
> lifestyle."

Of course, you are overinterpreting "change in lifestyle"
in an attempt to dredge up a contradiction. Obviously in
your interpretation, incorporating two meditation periods
a day in one's routine would involve a "change in
lifestyle."

You're also interpreting "disciplined" (as opposed to
"undisciplined") to mean something considerably more
strenuous than simply healthy living.

But again, not even *that* much discipline is required to
learn and practice TM. As noted, healthy living is simply
recommended as the way to make the most of your practice
(it's likely the way to make the most of *any* self-
improvement practice).

Nabby's saying that in his experience, those who ignore
such recommendations tend to be more likely to quit TM
because they aren't getting as much from their practice.

(This was in response to your remark, "I sometimes wonder
how likely it is for a long term true believer to give it
up and lose faith. And whether it simply is a drifting
away or a more sudden 'aha' moment.")

> There certainly has been lifestyle creep in the true
> believer community, probably as a result of all the side
> products the TMO has been promoting in recent years.

Unquestionably, but that's irrelevant to what Nabby
and I are telling you.

<snip>
> Rest in rather vague terms has been consistently promoted,
> usually to say you should rest a few minutes after your
> program.  Meditation and rest afterwords is he general
> prescription for unstressing.  But vague admonitions to
> rest isn't really what most think of when thinking of
> lifestyle requirements.

Not sure what your point is here. There are, as I said, no
"lifestyle requirements" to practice TM.

In any case, getting enough rest at night, not just after
meditation, is an extremely common recommendation in the
TM context, in my experience. TM isn't a substitute for
sleep.