--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Joe" <geezerfr...@...> wrote:
<snip>
> Barry, on the other hand, I find highly amusing and often
> insightful.

See, that's what I was trying to get at. I have
*never* found his posts insightful, since well before
there was a "feud" per se. Sometimes he's mildly
amusing, but most of his attempts at humor are labored
and leaden.

As I've said frequently, he's a sloppy thinker. His logic
is poor; he bases his theses on unfounded (and often
unspoken) assumptions; he rarely considers alternative
possibilities. He's prone to hyperbole so extreme it
invalidates his points; he uses weasel words to load his
arguments; he uses ambiguity to pivot from one step to
another when there's really no connection. And of course
there's his constant dishonesty, not to mention his
inconsistency from one day (or even one post) to the
next, as well as the same mantra-like themes repeated
over and over again dressed up in different verbal
costumes as if they were brand-new "insights."

Then there's the constant demonization of those who
don't agree with him. He can't seem to argue *for*
anything without at the same time putting down
anyone who believes differently.

In most cases, what he appears to do is start from his
conclusion, what he wants to believe (or wants his
readers to believe), and then work backward to put
together a train of thought that seems to lead to that
conclusion--but only if you don't examine it too
closely.

But he's very skilled with words; he knows how to make
what he's saying *sound* logical and persuasive. You
have to look past the fancy wordsmithing to the
structure and content of his arguments to see how
shallow and generally misbegotten they really are. All
flash and little substance.

My penchant for analyzing his posts and pointing out
their shortcomings was what got the feud started way
back on alt.m.t. At first, we had actual debates on
substance, but he had such a hard time with those
that eventually he gave up and resorted to attacking
me personally instead. Now, that's *all* he does
where I'm concerned, while I continue to dismantle
his arguments on substance.

> He, Rick and Curtis are the "must read" posts when
> I'm looking in on FFL.

Curtis is always a must-read. Obviously I don't always
agree with him, but there's often more insight in a
single one of his posts than Barry manages in many
months' worth. Rick has a knack for very straightforward,
no-nonsense presentation, complete with supporting facts.