--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Hugo" <fintlewoodle...@...> wrote:
<snip>
> the brain may be
> the most amazing thing in existence but it's still a
> physical structure that evolved, unless there is something
> *really* weird going on. How we go about translating the
> explanation into our own experience might turn out to be
> the tricky bit.

Don't think there's any question that *is* the tricky bit.

I meant to comment earlier, if psychedelic and mystical
experience--as well as a lot of "paranormal" experience--
is all generated by the physical brain, the brain is not
just more amazing than we imagine, but possibly more
amazing than we *can* imagine (to steal a phrase from
Eddington).

Just for kicks, here's Huxley on the "reducing valve"
concept (from "Varieties of Religious Experience"):

"Each one of us is potentially Mind at Large. But in so
far as we are animals, our business is at all costs to
survive. To make biological survival possible, Mind at
Large has to be funnelled through the reducing valve of
the brain and nervous system. What comes out at the
other end is a measly trickle of the kind of
consciousness which will help us to stay alive on the
surface of this particular planet."

I find it interesting to contemplate the possibility
that the physical brain has evolved to select and
make available those features of Mind at Large that
had the greatest survival value while selecting
others to be screened out (because they weren't
necessary, or would interfere with those that are
screened in).