> wrote:
> >
> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "John" <jr_esq@> wrote:
> > >
> > > This is true.  Dreams are good indicators of things to come.
> > > If the dreams are enjoyable then the near future should be
> > > good as well. For example, if you dream of someone just before
> > > you wake up, there's a good chance you will meet this person
> > > during the same day.
> >
> > I think this is an example of one of our mind's cognitive
> > pitfalls called "shaping." We tend to remember things that
> > fit patterns and forget those that do not.
>
> It's also a view shaped by what I call "slacker
> spirituality," one that sees dreams as a passive
> experience that "happens" to you, not as another
> state of consciousness that you have as much
> control over as you do the waking state.
>
> I practiced Tibetan dream yoga for many years, and
> gained somewhat of a facility with "lucid dreaming,"
> or "waking up in the dream." Once you do that you
> are no longer merely a passive viewer of the dream,
> but a fully interactive participant in it. Don't
> like the circumstances of the current dream you
> find yourself in? Just change it. Poof! You're in
> another setting among more sympatico dream-mates.
>
> Personally I have as little respect for John's
> "dreams as prognosticators" as I do for Western
> science's or Maharishi's "dreams as stress release,"
> but that's because I get to *participate* in my
> dreams in ways that they do not seem able to do.

There are meanings of your dreams even if you change them or actively
participate in them while its occurring.  It is apparent that you are not
understanding the metaphors and the symbolisms that your dreams are presenting
to you.  If you analyze your dreams they may be actually telling you something
that you are not aware of.

 > The above (about dream yoga) said, I agree completely.
> I do not and have never viewed dreams as a mechanism
> for prognostication, and hopefully never will. They are
> for me merely another state of consciousness in which
> to practice mindfulness.

Your dreams may not be prognosticate for you because you fail to understand the
metaphors and symbolisms being conveyed.

> Last night I tired of the somewhat boring dream I was
> having and decided to "spice it up" and willed that I
> was at a dinner party with more interesting fellow
> dream-beings. Poof! I was in Windows On The World
> (which no longer exists but for me is still a cool
> place because I had many memorable conversations there),
> sitting at a dinner table overlooking New York City
> with a number of cool people. We had a really cool
> conversation. Some of the conversationalists are still
> living, some are not. If John's theory were correct,
> I should have run into Basho and the Sixth Dalai Lama
> and Oscar Wilde on the street today.

These people that appeared to you may be symbols in your life.  They could
represent your ideals.  If you ignore their meanings, then you are not
realizing the potential that are available to you.