--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "WillyTex" <willy...@...> wrote:

> > > Patanjali doesn't say anything about the
> > > 'bija mantras' used in TM, and where the
> > > bija mantras come from...
> > >
> nadarrombus:
> > patanjali states the bija om is the mantra
> > which is used...
> >
> Patanjali mentions the 'pranava', but does not
> state that it is 'om'. AUM is not, stictly
> speaking, a 'bija' mantra. AUM isn't mentioned
> in the Yoga Sutras nor in the Rig Veda.
>
> So, Patanjali doesn't say anything about the
> 'TM' bija mantras and where they came from.

I also don't think Patanjali taught TM type meditation, He apparently taught
*Concentration* (Dharana) as a means of controlling the prana, a much more
difficult but volitional process, one used by the great Paramahansa Yogananda.

TM is a much more passive process, but simpler for most people. Concentration,
once mastered, is more controllable using the WILL......

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dh%C4%81ra%E1%B9%87%C4%81