--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "John" <jr_...@...> wrote:

> You are entitled to your opinion.  But I am merely paraphrasing what is
> available in the jyotish shastras.

When Jyoitish was formalized people had many notions that have been overturned
by the growth of human understanding.  The religious context and the class
system knowledge-power rigidity of that period made it very hard to change
people's wrong ideas.  Even with the impressive name "shastra" the views
expressed are also someone's opinion.  Someone who came from a culture that
lacked the knowledge we have gained since that time.

<Personally, I have kept a diary of my dreams for several months to determine
what these dreams mean to my life.>

Here is where our intuition and statistics starts to come into conflict.  The
statistical question is "how many months are actually required to make a solid
case?"  And how likely is it to find coincidences of the nature you discovered
below?  This is something our natural minds totally suck at.  Our intuition
can't grasp this so we have to rely on the field of statistics and probability
thoery.

<In one of the dreams, there was a sequence where I was taking a bus ride to
visit my old alma mater for one reason or the the other.  I met some people
whom I did not know before.  After a few days of this dream, I found out that
my neighbor next door to me also graduated from my university through an alumni
brochure that was incorrectly delivered into my mail box.>

Here is a Wiki description of the birthday paradox:

"In probability theory, the birthday problem, or birthday paradox[1] pertains
to the probability that in a set of randomly chosen people some pair of them
will have the same birthday. In a group of at least 23 randomly chosen people,
there is more than 50% probability that some pair of them will have the same
birthday. Such a result is counter-intuitive to many.

For 57 or more people, the probability is more than 99%, and it reaches 100%
when, ignoring leap-years, the number of people reaches 366 (by the pigeonhole
principle)."

> To test this theory out yourself, you should keep a diary of your dreams to
> see if any of them "preplays" any of the actual occurences in your life.

You can understand why I am skeptical that such a test really proves what it
FEELS like it should prove.  I even suggested the experiment before I started
thinking about it more and seeing the problems with the design.  It naturally
made sense to me!  It could be tested in principle, but these elements would
have to be a part of the design.

1.  We would need to know how many months of recording dreams and how many
events would be needed to make it statistically significant.

2.  We would need to decide on some parameters of what constitutes a
connection.  In the kind of open ended personal design we are subject to
shaping.  Of course we also have the issue of how our perception is going to
filter to look for any connections with the dream we just had. We are scanning
our experience with a strong bias. I don't know how to get around this because
this is self-reported and we have thousands of possible experiences to choose
from.  It seems to me that this would make the likelihood of finding SOMETHING
that seems to relate very high.

There are many other variable to control for and I am not an expert in testing
design.  But in principle it seems like there could be a way to find out if
there is something to this thoery.  In its current form is appears to be
unfalsifiable.

But this is unlikely to ever happen because people who view shastras as having
authority are not interested in more than personal confirmation of the belief.
There is no way to prove it false given this testing procedure. And for
hundreds of years humans have been satisfied with their anecdotal evidence and
intuitive pseudo-testing.  What would be the motive to REALLY find out?

This natural tendency of our minds (where have I heard THAT before?) to impose
order our of chaos, to put things together and to assign connections or to
notice the naturally occurring coincidences and to see patterns is a strength
and a weakness of our minds. Depending on the context is either pretty benign
(this dream belief) or catastrophic, medical superstitions.  Our minds are very
susceptible to being convinced of things that we should only be confident about
with better testing practices.  But REALLY testing things is hard.  As a
species we are also overfond of easy and quick.

I have an experience that happens to me.  I will be reading something on the
Web and then turn to the radio or TV and the same topic will be being
discussed.  It feels like it happens a lot.  It really does.