"All editors are failed authors." - Samuel Johnson

"Every editor should have a pimp for a brother, so he can
have someone to look up to." - H.L. Mencken

You may have gotten the impression from what I wrote earlier
that I have somewhat of a 'tude about editors. That is only
partially true.

I do have respect for some editors I have met, I have none
for those who got into the business because they were closet
control freaks who wanted to hide their lack of creativity
by being able to "correct" creative people.

What makes me worth my not inconsiderable fees as a tech
writer is that I care enough about what I do that my stuff
doesn't need editing. In the company I've contracted to for
the last six years, we didn't have the staff for full-time
editors, so we tech writers were expected to do it on our
own, or resort to "peer-editing."

Now that the company has been acquired by IBM, it's theo-
retically a different story. They have a whole team of
editors, whose job it is to "pass muster" on any manual
before it is released. I now hold the distinction of being
the only tech writer from ILOG whose manuals can be
released without editorial approval.

This is because when ILOG was acquired they took a repre-
sentative manual from each writer and sent it through the
editorial process. In mine, they found only one thing to
complain about -- I had not followed their convention of
showing Windows drive letters in lowercase. That is, they
wanted me to write pathnames as c:\ILOG\ODME\Developer\...
and I wrote them C:\ILOG\ODME\Developer\...

When they brought this to my attention, I pointed out that
their convention violated all industry standards, *and*
Microsoft's own Style Guide. As a result, IBM changed its
standard.

A small victory for writers over editors, but a satisfying one.  :-)

  [http://www.savagechickens.com/images/chickeneditor.jpg]