authfriend wrote:
> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, tartbrain <no_re...@...> wrote:
> <snip>
>
>> I am sure catcalls will follow this post -- but there is
>> a value judgement in all of this that assumes that wealth
>> is superior to poverty. I have learned some great things
>> when I was flat broke over  sustained periods as well as
>> when I have been more financially secure.
>>

> Not to mention that rich people can be psychologically
> miserable (sometimes as a result of their wealth, other
> times independently of it). You don't have to be
> materially deprived to undergo great suffering. For that
> matter, you don't have to be poor to undergo great
> *physical* suffering.

A lot of the wealthy have people managing their wealth.  Otherwise
they'd probably blow it overnight.  Bill Gates in an interview in 1991
seemed to indicate that his money was "somewhere out there" or not
really connected with it.  His dad was a corporate lawyer and probably
suggested early on for some management firm to take care of his wealth.
The problem is that they are so disassociated with that wealth and the
real world that sometimes decisions they do make can be disastrous for
others.  And its also why the wealthy have often been referred to as
"eccentric."