--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "lurkernomore20002000" <steve.sun...@...>

> <curtisdeltablues@> wrote:
>
> > It is his rejection of that cruel ideology that makes his thinking so
> attractive to me. He is saying something that is the opposite view of
> the karmic belief system, "it's not fair!" They didn't earn this
> suffering by their bad deeds in a past life, they just drew the short
> straw in life by chance.  I've just been thinking about this.  A phrase
> that has been used often to explain things that don't make sense to us,
> is,  "God in his infinite wisdom has..........such and such"  Which is
> another way of saying, I haven't the foggiest idea why.  Any maybe this
> weak explanation works for many people. But for others it doesn't.  But
> I am thinking that an equally absurd explanation is that, "The random
> universe in its randomness has resulted in.............. such and such,
> and so and so.  Please give me a sensible explanation of good and bad
> things happening,  action and reaction in the world of human life
> without introducing the concept of reincarnation.  I cannot, and that is
> why I subscribe to this concept. Andwe can act to change this
> unfairness.
> >
> > I think it is fascinating that you are promoting a guy who explicitly
> states that he does not belief in God and whose views are so much more
> inline with Gandhi than Guru Dev.

Again, I am sure I am in the thick or a larger discussion and debate -- so
apologies if I am repeating or trotting ideas already shown to be bogus.  The
Big Question, "Why are things the way they are?". First, its fascinating and
curious to me that my dog doesn't appear to ask this question -- but is far
more enthusiastic about things than I, and plainly quite more gleeful at the
wonders of life.

"A walk? FANTASTIC! Thats the greatest idea of the Century! I could jump and
down. Wait -- I AM jumping up and down. Bro, you are a genius."

"Wow, get a load of this smell, oh, now this one, lets run -not walk, Run over
there and smell that thing. So MANY wonderful new smells to discover.Isn't life
Great!"

But until we reach the ultimate View, DC, a parallel thought to the Big
Question is why do things happen to me, and to "you" (as in any other)? Are
these two questions related?

Experimentation, experimental design, statistics -- science in general --
pursues the Big Question -- but has its limitations (that are increasingly
overcome as knowledge expands). To pose a question of other posts and threads,
why is the 8 year old beggar child so poor and exploited?

"Science" (which includes the social sciences -- as well as humanities that
explore causal chains in other ways) has a lot of ideas and partial data on why
poverty exists -- though hardly much consensus.  One poster would appear to say
the key driver is "economic system" others appear to think it's political,
others class warfare, etc. Some merit can be found in all of these perspectives
-- but none definitively answer the issue.

"Science" has somethings also say why poverty is happening to this person and
not that one: education, social structure, parents income and wealth, height
(Dilbert says a key criteria for managers is height -- which in my experience
seems to bear some fruit)etc.

But the questions as to why that 8 year old girl was born into poverty and a
girl across town was born into a life of privilege is far less clear. I too
find reincarnation is a plausible, but highly difficult to prove, explanation.

And I don't feel that reincarnation, for me, is an exploitive tool to oppress
others. If past action results in particular current conditions (almost a
truism), that in no ways voids   compassion. How the 8 year old girl got into
that condition, random or karmic, in no way diminishes the compassion we can
have and actions we can take to help her, or others like her, out. (And that is
no to say giving handouts -- particularly when thins smell manipulative -- is
the best answer

However, does it matter?

I am sure catcalls will follow this post -- but there is a value judgement in
all of this that assumes that wealth is superior to poverty. I have learned
some great things when I was flat broke over  sustained periods as well as when
I have been more financially secure.