<snip>
> > It simply is not the case that one can't say
> > anything valid and valuable about a place unless
> > one has spent time there, or about someone's
> > teaching unless one has met the person.
> >
> > It's not all or nothing. Very few things in life
> > are all or nothing, much as you'd like them to be.

(Notice again that Barry has completely ignored the
points I made, because he has no response to them.
Par for the course. Instead, he digs up one of his
older and most often repeated canards, one that never
had any validity to start with.)

> If this is true, please tell us more about
> what you know about a film called "Apocalypto."

Oh, for one thing, its portrayal of Maya culture
and history has many serious inaccuracies, as
documented by a number of experts in the field
(some of which I posted here).

And yes, I know you're instinctively skeptical
of experts. But instinct really isn't a good
enough basis on which to dismiss what they say in
a specific case; you need to actually *debunk*
what they say, show that it's in error. Can you
do that with what they said about "Apocalypto"?

> You know, the film that caused you to call its
> director a "Christian bigot," while never having
> seen it.

As I've pointed out before a number of times
(Barry's memory gets worse with every passing day),
Gibson was widely known to be a Christian bigot
well before he made the film.

We even discussed his bigotry here in some detail.
Oddly enough, though, I don't recall your raising
any objections to that characterization on the
grounds that none of us had ever met him.

> You've still never seen it.
>
> Thus you are in a perfect position to follow
> through on your logic above.
>
> Tell us something that is "valid and valuable"
> about this film. We're all ears.

See above. (Note that seeing the film would not
have enabled me to cite inaccuracies, since I'm
not an expert on Maya culture myself. I doubt
it would have helped in your case either. Direct
personal experience is not always the be-all and
end-all.)