--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "lurkernomore20002000" <steve.sun...@...>

>  I specifically asked her what she and her
> > fellow scientists thought of the New Age attempt to
> > co-opt her field, and was greeted by a level of disdain
> > and scorn I have rarely encountered before.
>
> Are you saying that you have not had experiences that would
> be best described as operating at a subtler, or quantum level
> of awareness?

I am *absolutely* saying that. I have had any
number of profound experiences, but I describe
them *as they were*, not in terms of some made-up
association with a little-understood but often-
ripped-off branch of science.

If thought stops but awareness does not, that is
"best described" as "thought stopping without
awareness stopping," NOT by "I merged with the
quantum field of all possibilities" or some other
such guff. I am surprised you would even suggest
such a thing.

Jargon is jargon, whether it's traditional spiri-
tual jargon derived from Sanskrit or other lang-
uages or modern jargon ripped off from science.
It's very purpose is to *obfuscate* direct exper-
ience, not "explain" it. I prefer real words, used
to describe real experiences.

> If a true siddhi has ever been performed in the history of
> human kind, would this not be an example of utilizing quantum
> mechanical laws?

Absolutely NOT. It would be an example of *something*.
Something not completely understood, or not under-
stood at all. Dressing it up in language ripped off
from science does not make it one whit more under-
standable, it just puts a pretty name on the mystery.

> Are not the effects similiar in terms of remarkable phenomena
> being displayed?

So fucking what? Many of my experiences are more similar
in their effects and in their subjective experience to
the Harry Potter books than to quantum physics. Should I
then refer to them using terminology from the Harry Potter
books. That *IS* the case you seem to be making.

"Similarity" is bogus. One can draw parallels between
anything and anything; that does not mean that those
parallels exist. Those who attempt to declare that such
parallels exist are more often call insane than wise.

> Do not the objective and subjective world meet at some point,

Why should they? Because you'd like them to?

> ...and if they do, where might that point be? What is the hang
> up between trying to make a connection between these two, and
> using the terms consciousness and quantum mechannics in doing so?

Done for FUN, and *knowing* that it's meaningless and
has *no relation* to reality on any level? No harm, no
foul. Done as if the speculation "means" something? Harm.
Foul. It's as meaningless an exercise in my opinion as
making the connection between one's subjective experience
and the Harry Potter books, and less entertaining.

> And as reluctant as I am to use this example, if Rama levitated,
> (and I have no reason to believe he didn't), would this not be
> due to manipulating laws at a quantum level.

Absolutely not. He just fucking levitated, that's all.

That's ALL we witnessed. If it was happening on a physical
level, we witnessed a mystery happening on a physical level.
If it happened only on a subtle level, and wouldn't have
been recorded by video cameras or instruments (which is very
possible), it was a mystery happening on a subtle level. End
of story.

No matter how much I or anyone else dresses up the mystery
with pretty words from either science or Harry Potter, a
mystery it was and a mystery it remains.

In terms of *marketing* (which is what we are really talking
about), there is a world of difference between dressing such
an experience up in the language of quantum physics vs.
dressing it up in the language of Harry Potter. The former
is a *sales technique*, designed to try to give some "legit-
imacy" to someone's interpretation of what is going on, while
conferring not an ounce of that legitimacy in real life. The
latter -- using Harry Potter language -- would at least be
more honest, because people in the audience would *know*
that you were making it up and that the only thing involved
was an appeal to magic. Co-opting the language of a science
that is irrelevant to phenomena that do not take place at a
quantum level is essentially *dishonest*. And everyone who
does it *knows* that it's dishonest; that's why they get so
uptight when you call them on their ripped-off jargon jive.

> I have had experiences that make sense to me when I describe
> them as operating at a quantum mechanical level of awareness.
>
> I'd love to get some feedback.

This was mine.

I think the issue here is in the language you use in your last
sentence above. You would like your experiences to "make sense."
What leads you to believe that they do, or even should?

Some people get off on trying to come up with "explanations"
for life's mysteries that seem to "make sense." Cool, I guess,
if that gets them off. Less cool, I think, if they attempt to
claim that their "explanations" are actually true.

Me, I'm just happy with the baseline mystery. I don't need to
dress it up in the language of quantum mechanics or in the
language of Harry Potter to make it "better" or "understandable"
or pretend that it "made sense." It was a mystery when it
happened, it's a mystery now, and a mystery it will remain,
no matter how long I ponder it. It makes more sense to me to
spend more of my time being open to *more* such mysteries than
sitting around trying to ponder the old ones and come up with
some bogus "explanation" for them.