--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "lurkernomore20002000" <steve.sun...@...>
wrote:

> What is the hang up between trying to make a connection between
> these two, and using the terms consciousness and quantum mechannics
> in doing so?

Yes!

No, wait a minute... no?

Thinking about this (and what,say Curtis bangs on about), does
this distinction help?

(a) Trying to see how the metaphysics of [insert woo-woo practice
here] can be thought of as being CONSISTENT with modern science
(particularly quantum mechanics).  And more accurately here we
mean the metaphysics of modern science (i.e *interpreted* as
opposed to geek/mathematical quantum mechanics).

(b) Believing that modern science proves that, or provides
evidence for, the metaphysics of [insert woo-woo practice here]
being TRUE.

I don't see anything wrong with (a) at all. It's good to feel
that your beliefs are not at odds with Science (as for example,
we suppose to be the case with naive biblical creationists).
But being *consistent* with Science is a fairly low goal for
a metaphysics. It can still be completely daft. But at least
would-be acolytes need not fear they are abandoning rationalism
by adopting [insert woo-woo practice here]

(b) is the problem surely. But who believes that? For my part
I never thought that MMY and TM's scientific pretensions were
anything other than (a). For that reason it was not necessarily
ALL that significant or indeed interesting to me (I am not
fully signed up to the Science is Truth myth).

Call me naive as I expect you will...