-- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "curtisdeltablues"
<curtisdeltabl...@...> wrote:

> This is a technical term for a non-sensory level of life. It may sound
analogous to sensory experiences but why would you use it? It's use in
science is highly specific. Slapping it on our sensory experience
without the context of its true meaning seems to me to be a misuse of
technical terms at best and misleading at worst.

I have heard different mystery schools refer to this notion of the
higher development of consciousness in different ways.  QM doesn't seem
such a bad way to compare the two things.  I am not trying to be super
rigourous in my terms.   Perhaps that is weak on my part, but I am not
trying hard to make any one believe what I am saying either.

> < If a true siddhi has ever been performed in the history of human
kind,

> I don't know why we would assume this since humans have made up so
many claims that have not panned out.

  Fine, but do you believe there has never been a case,  even a single
case of a siddhi being performed?  It is fine to say, that "I haven't
seen one", or "I can't prove it", but are you saying that it is
impossible, that it has never happened.  And then what in the hell do
you do, it it has happened even once?
> < would this not be an example of utilizing quantum mechanical laws?>
>
> Not necessarily. A person might float from something at a completely
different level of nature. Quantum mechanics might have some insight
into how it is accomplished but that wont be from shoving the ideas
together in poetic usage, it would be from the physicists themselves in
their own language and with the same reasonable restraints of science.
Boy, am I agreement with you on this point.

> < Are not the effects similiar in terms of remarkable phenomena being
displayed? >

> Here again we are comparing sensory with non sensory phenomenon and
mistakenly thinking we have an intuition about what the words mean. We
don't know what is similar about how atoms behave on a subatomic level
because they I

I certainly can't make a positive connection  I just happen to believe
that at some point we will find an intimate connection.  But I am
willing to wait until something more definitive comes out.

> <Do not the objective and subjective world meet at some point, and if
they do, where might that point be?>

> This is the subject of neuro-science. So far they have their hands
full with sorting out the chemical and electrical brains connections. I
don't believe we are close to sorting out the subatomic levels and how
they relate.

> < What is the hang up between trying to make a connection between
these two, and using the terms consciousness and quantum mechannics in
doing so?

> It depends on your goal. If you are indulging in the use of the terms
as poetry and want to induce a feeling, go ahead and have a blast. If
you are trying to actually understand quantum mechanics itself before
comparing them you need specific training or you might as well be
calling human consciousness a fuel injected carburetor. Actually that
comparison would be more legit because we have the possibility of direct
experience with that unlike subatomic levels. I try to stick close to
just what I experience.  Most of my experiences are pretty mundane.
Every once in a while something unique pops up.  Probably just like most
of us.

> Of course if the goal is to make it sound as if you understand human
consciousness with the same precision of the hard sciences by comparing
them as Maharishi did, you would be indulging in flim-flamery.
Presenting a field of knowledge which was really traditional assertions
as if they were connected to the knowledge gained in science is slippery
at best. They are not connected either in methods or criteria for
confidence in the knowledge.  I'll have to go back and see if I was
doing this.  Don't think I was

> > And as reluctant as I am to use this example, if Rama levitated,
(and I have no reason to believe he didn't), would this not be due to
manipulating laws at a quantum level.

> I've seen many people levitate through hidden mechanical means.
Especially in a setting where people where not expecting a magic show
this would be my first assumption. Now if he did it at a magic
convention and blew everyone's mind I would be more impressed because
they have the training to spot the possible techniques. But in any case
we have no evidence of the mechanism at all so why go to a field that we
really don't understand and use it outside its range of description, the
subatomic world? We jump to those terms because we got used to hearing
guys like Maharishi use them casually as if he understood them.

> > I have had experiences that make sense to me when I describe them as
operating at a quantum mechanical level of awareness.

> I don't know your physics background so I don't know how much you
understand these terms. Not a lot of people really do understand it the
way it is intended because it takes specialized training. Part of that
training is to separate our intuitions about reality from the level
being discussed because this level is often counter intuitive.
Physicists have told me that this is one of the hardest things to do in
physics study, to get beyond our natural misapplication of our sensory
intuition to this level. Using our natural intuition at this level is
very misleading. My knowledge of physics is pretty limited.  I am not
trying to be terribly rigorous in my descriptions. Then again, I don't
believe I am trying to build a big case about something.  I am just
using a phrase that sounds right to me.  If you feel it is being
misapplied, then I certainly am fine with that, and I do appreciate your
pointing it out.

> The phrase, "a quantum mechanical level of awareness" is a fanciful
one that combines the terms from completely different disciplines
inappropriately. We got used to doing it in the movement but it is an
imprecise mental habit IMO. Why not just say that you were operating at
the heart valve level of awareness. or the chemical bonding and sealant
level of awareness, or the semitone pentatonic scale level...you get the
picture.  So advised. I certainly don't wish to use a term in the way
that offends you.  I will consider your suggestion.

> One of my great interests is rooting out my cognitive flaws. One of
the biggest ones I have found is the human tendency to believe that we
understand terms that refer to non-sensory areas of science in an
intuitive way. We are not only bad at intuiting statistics but we
actually have a predisposition to believe that we are actually good at
it. We are fanciful creatures whose greatest asset, imagination, can be
one of our biggest downfalls if our goal is to understand the world. We
form beliefs based on poor evidence and then actively seek out only
experiences that would support our beliefs and shield ourselves from
counter-evidence, reinterpreting the feedback in a way that keeps it
from challenging our assumptions. Good point.  Perhaps I am falling into
this trap.  It wouldn't be the first time I would have been deluding
myself. But then again this is one of the better things about getting
older, that often it is accomponied by more wisdom.  But I could be
deluding myself in this regard as well.

> And I am just as prone to this as anyone. I am trying to adjust the
way I think to include my own "I am probably full of shit" loop in all
my thinking. I believe that using technical science terms about a level
of life I don't experience directly feeds into the exact mental weakness
I am trying to minimize. I think that when people use these terms in
support of spiritual beliefs they don't actually lend any credibility to
the assertions, they diminish it.  Good to people a little leeway in
describing their experiences i think.  But if we don't get challenged,
then that doesn't count for much either.

> For me, we more effectively communicate these concepts through the
arts if we want others to feel what we feel. I would much rather read
Rumi or Kabir than listen to Hagelin if I want to appreciate someone's
subtle appreciation of life's mystery and the shear beauty of being
alive. That's a nice point to end on.