--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "lurkernomore20002000" <steve.sun...@...>
wrote:

> Thanks for the feedback

Thanks for perceiving it *as* feedback, and nothing
more. One of the points I was trying to make about
quantum physicists talking about God or astrophys-
icists merely *assuming* that the universe had a
starting point or a moment of "creation" is what
I'd term "the persistence of early conditioning."

LONG before any of these people were taught math
and the tents of science, they were taught that an
all-powerful interfering being named "God" existed.
Is there any question that they would hold to such
beliefs while developing theories about the nature
of the universe, and thus consciously or unconsciously
"color" their theories with such beliefs?

They were also taught just by dealing with birth and
death in humans and other life forms that such
things seem inevitable. Is there any question that
they would then think "As below, so above," and
believe that the universe had a starting point
(the moment of "creation" or the "Big Bang")?

I think it would be interesting to see what a
scientist who had been raised with *zero* exposure
to teachings about a sentient God or about the
*assumability* of a universe that (like humans)
was "born" and thus someday must "die" would
come up with.

But that is not easily accomplished. Einstein
made comments about God during his lifetime, even
though his newly-discovered letters indicate that
he was more consistently in the atheist camp than
in the God camp. Nevertheless, God freaks continue
to portray the man who said in a letter to philosopher
Erik Gutkind, "The word God is for me nothing more
than the expression and product of human weakness,
the Bible a collection of honorable, but still purely
primitive, legends which are nevertheless pretty
childish" as a fellow believer in God.

My grandfather, who worked with Einstein, described
him to my father as someone who was willing to chuck
*any* idea out the window the moment its usefulness
ended. Even his own. Being a thoughtful man, I am
sure that he examined both sides of the "Is there a
God" question all his life. But he seems to have
settled firmly in the "No" camp. *Especially* with
regard to the idea that God, if one existed, could
"interfere with" or "affect" the world. He stated
several times that he did not believe this. IMO that
may have freed him to come up with concepts that a
person who could never get *past* early conditioning
that taught him that *of course* there is a God, and
*of course* He can do whatever he wants could not.