> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "wayback71" <wayback71@> wrote:
> <snip>
> > I just finished reading Biocentrism by Robert Lanza. MD.  He
> > cites the idea that human awareness of an experiement
> > actually changes the result - an oft-cited idea by New Agers
> > and spiritual folk of many types.  In reading a critque of
> > the book, and also talking to a scientist friend, it turns
> > out that the common New Agey notion (which I often quoted in
> > the past) of human awareness having an effect on an
> > experimnent is wrong - at least so far as can be measured
> > now.  In the classic quantum experiment, electrons shimmering
> > around a  nucleus in a wave form - but not yet collapsed into
> > matter or really locatable - can be affected by any physical
> > interference.  Once that interference occurs, they collapse
> > from the wave state into form.  But as I understand it (and I
> > could be wrong but this is what scientists are saying) just
> > having someone think about the experiment or the electrons or
> > aware of it, does nothing measurable.
>
> Well, it never was just having someone think about the
> experiment that was said to collapse the wave function; it
> was specifically having someone look at the measurement
> apparatus that did it (which may be what you're saying).
> Supposedly, until somebody looked at it, the measurement
> apparatus itself was in a superposition of states.

My understanding is that looking at the apparatus did not collapse the wave
function, you have to interfere physically in some obvious manner.  But hey, I
am no quantum physicist.

> There's a good layperson's explanation of the measurement
> problem by theoretical physicist Shantena Sabbatini here:
>
> http://www.shantena.com/media/Thequantummeasurementproblem.pdf
>
> Sabbatini has his own interpretation, which preserves the
> idea that the observer plays a role, but not because the
> observer collapses the wave function. I can't paraphrase
> his approach (I can barely grasp it!), but he says "the
> conditions of our knowing make [the world appear classical]."
>
> How or if that stands up against what you're talking about,
> I haven't a clue...
>
> Sabbatini, BTW, is a mystic, a Taoist.
>
> > You really have to interfere in a physical way, and so far
> > human thought alone does not do that.  So this misunderstanding
> > of the experiment by New Agers is pretty huge, and to most
> > scientists it looks like spiritual people grasping for
> > confirmation of their beliefs in a domain they don't accurately
> > understand.
>
> It's an unwarranted extension of the "Copenhagen
> interpretation" of quantum mechanics, that observing the
> measurement collapses the wave function, which was itself
> a reasonable guess given the experimental evidence. But
> it isn't entirely fair to blame the New Agers, because
> there have been a number of physicists (not just Hagelin!)
> who have extended it in this manner as well.
>
> > The experiment about splitting an electron and having each
> > "aware" of (respionding to) the behavior of the other across
> > huge distances, instantaneously, is true and still puzzling
> > to physicists, from what I have heard.
>
> It's part of the same problem, actually.
>
> Here's another interesting angle, from Roger Penrose (who
> argues that neurons in the brain are affected by quantum
> mechanical processes, incidentally):
>
> http://discovermagazine.com/2005/jun/cover/article_view?b_start:int=0&-C=
>
> http://tinyurl.com/yhyeptg
>
> He incorporates gravity into quantum mechanics and suggests
> that gravity is what collapses the wave function.

Thanks Judy for all the links.  I appreciate the time you spent.  I will read
them all, but it will take me some time...........