bill:
> > Vainashika (adjective form) is what he considered
> > Buddhist teaching to be...

Vaj:
> vainAshika
> perishable L. ; believing in complete annihilation...

So, what's your point?

According to Bhattacharyya, the Buddhist 'Tantras' were
written on palm leaves. But, even supposing that Shankara
got hold of some of Dharmakirti's written works, it is
obvious that the Adi Shankaracharya got all mixed up.

Apparently the Adi thought that the Buddha's teaching
was the teaching of 'annihilism', but of course he was
mistaken.

That's one of the pitfalls of reading Tantric texts
without a tantric guru, and there's no record of
Shankara ever making a visit to the Tantric University
at Nalanda.

But in fact, the Buddhist Tantras do not teach the theory
of 'annihilation' - Buddhisat Tantras, such as the Lanka
Avatara Tantra, teach 'Consciousness Only'. So, Shankara
has made a big mistake in equating 'Nirvana' with the
'annihilation theory'.

What is really interesting, is that Shankara wanted to
denigrate the Tantric Buddhism, in order to promote
Vedanta, but at the same time, he wanted to co-opt the
whole idea of Buddhist vijnananavada', in which the
physical world is composed of many thought-instants,
and the Ultimate Reality is 'Pure Consciousness',
(Nirvana), and that the physical world is an appearance
only (Maya).

That's one of the enigmas of Indian philosophy. We do
not know for sure why the Adi Shankara adopted the
Tantric view and established the Sri Yantra on the
altar at Sringeri.

What we do know is that all of the Dasanami Sannyasins
now worship the Sri Vidya, Sri Saraswati, and that
Shankara composed the Saundaryalahari Tantra, with the
fifteen bija mantras enumerated (Bhattacharyya pg. 79).

Work cited:

'History of the Tantric Religion'
A Historical, Ritualistic and Philosophical Study
By Narendra Nath Bhattacharyya
South Asia Books, 1982

Other references:

'The Central Philosophy of Buddhism'