--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "curtisdeltablues" <curtisdeltabl...@...>

> > <curtisdeltablues@> wrote:
> > <snip>
> > > Both teachers and meditators believe they were doing more
> > > analyzing than they were.  Mostly we fit together phrases
> > > from his language patterns like a puzzle.  I'm sure you
> > > are familiar with the concept of "sacred science" language
> > > from Lifton.  Using TM terms and phrases gives people a
> > > lot more confidence in their understanding than I believe
> > > is deserved.
> >
> > ROTFL! Citing Lifton in relation to TM is sillier than
> > citing Erikson, IMHO.
>
> Not according to Lifton himself.

Duh!

> His use of the language of "sacred science" is dead on IMO.
> Singer, his partner in applying his theory to the movement,
> agreed.

Singer's even worse.

> > Yes, I've read him. Remember how you refused to discuss
> > his theories with me on alt.m.t? I must have asked you a
> > dozen times.
>
> I remember discussing it with you on numerous occasions

I could get you to talk about his work in only the very
most general terms, as you do here. You were never willing
to go into his theories in detail with me.

The basic problem with Lifton is that his theories and
"models" are so poorly worded and described that depending
on how you choose to interpret them, you can apply them to
almost anything.

 although I am sure I also refused sometimes.  I find his model very useful in
understanding my experience in the TM movement which we have clarified was very
different from your own.  Applying his principles to a person who was not in a
fulltime facility and subject to the rules of a teacher seems pointless.  I am
certainly not interested in convincing you of anything here.