> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "John" <jr_esq@> wrote:
> > >
> > Next time you think matter is an illusion, drop by my
> > place and I can promise you I'll do something that will
> > convince you that matter is not an illusion. I've done
> > it before for "spiritual seekers" who tried to lay the
> > olde New Age / spiritual line about the relative world
> > (the world of matter) not existing on me, and *without
> > exception* every one of them admitted afterwards that
> > not only does it exist, it needs to be paid attention
> > to much more than they were paying attention to it
> > before.
> >
> > The technique is also very useful for curing seekers
> > of the notion that they "create their own reality."
>
> The last time Barry made this boast, it turned out he
> was referring to an incident in which he hit his brother
> in the solar plexus, knocking the wind out of him, when
> his brother was in the middle of a psychotic break.
>
> The sadism and sociopathy aside, this approach is along
> the same lines as the "I refute it thus!" of Samuel
> Johnson, who is said to have kicked a rock in outrage,
> injuring his foot, after hearing someone espouse the
> philosophy of Idealism (the idea that matter emerges
> from consciousness rather than the reverse).
>
> It's not recorded whether the proponent of Idealism
> laughed at Johnson's inability to grasp the implications
> of the philosophy.

THE CORRECTOR, in her zeal to "Get Barry," leaves
out the part of the story in which my brother had
just beaten the shit out of our 70-year-old father,
enough to require hospitalization.

I felt a "wake-up call" was in order.

After he sobered up and could breathe again, he
agreed with me.

But that was not one of the incidents I was refer-
ring to. Nor the technique. :-)