--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Bhairitu <noozg...@...> wrote:

> WillyTex wrote:
> > Duveyoung:
> >
> >> He made a statement that he cannot back up...
> >>

> > Apparently you don't get it Edg - nobody wants to
> > discuss Astrology with you because you and Barry
> > are not Astrologers, in fact you are both flamers.
> >
> > Get some smarts - if you can't find something common
> > to discuss, just keep your pie-hole shut, or talk
> > about Advaita Vedanta - something you believe in.
> >
> > But, in fact many of your ideas have already been
> > discussed on Usenet - you need to get up to speed if
> > you're going to dialog with the Jyotish Pundits.
> >
> > 'Stars of India'
> > Recent travels in India.
> > by Peter Holt
> > Mainstream, 1998
> >
> > 'Astrology of the Seers'
> > A modern classic describing general Indian Astrology.
> > by David Frawley
> >
> > 'Beneath a Vedic Sky'
> > One of the best books concerning Jyotish by a teacher of TM.
> > Includes CD.
> > by William Levacy
> > (Available from 21st Century Books in Fairfield)
>
> Levacy was a TM teacher as was James Braha and a number of other authors
> on Jyotish.  I hung out with many of these people including Frawley at
> ACVA (American Council of Vedic Astroogers) conferences back in the
> 1990s.  Those were fun gatherings where you met many folks from a number
> of different paths even some who were still strongly involved in TM and
> very close to Maharishi.  There would often be over 200 folks at these
> conferences.  There were many guest astrologers from India.
>
> My first contact with this group when I called David Frawley at the
> recommendation of my ayurveda MD to get a reading.  He told me he wasn't
> doing readings anymore but to take advantage of K N Rao being in the Bay
> Area that week for readings.  So I called the number he gave and got a
> reading from Rao, a very accomplished and well known Indian astrologer.
> Dennis Harness who headed up ACVA invited me to attend the weekend
> seminar with Rao at the San Rafael Embassy Suites.
>
> So I booked a room there since I didn't want to deal with driving the 40
> or so miles and it turned out to be a good idea as Rao kept chatting way
> into the evenings in his room.   That workshop was filled with many
> advanced astrologers from the west  and it was specifically about the
> Jaimini Sutras and system of astrology.  I was very green about
> astrology and didn't even know what signs each planet owned.  But I
> waded through and understood many of the concepts.  The real value was
> making a bunch of new friends from all over the world.
>
> ACVA hosted a couple more symposiums in San Rafael where Harness lived
> for a couple more years and then when he moved to Sedona where for a
> couple more years they were hosted in Del Mar near San Diego.  Then I
> attended one in Sedona and by then it was mainly for beginners.
>
> The 1990s were a great time and many folks had expendable income so air
> [...]

Yeah, I met these guys when I was living in Seattle up until 2004.  It was in
1994 that I started learning jyotish.  One of the students in our class was the
wife of the governor of Washington state.  Our teacher was Brendan Feeley who
had since moved to the nation's capital.

Then, there was another group that sponsored Sanjay Rath, another jyotishi from
India, to give lectures in Sunnyvale, CA.  He visited for about three or fours
after that.  But something happened, which I'm not privy to, and the group fell
apart.  Since then, Rath has never come back to California.