> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "John" <jr_esq@> wrote:
> >
> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Bhairitu <noozguru@> wrote:

> > > Brendan is an old friend too.  Did you know Robert Koch who
> > > also lived in Seattle (now in Bend, OR)?  Robert was the first
> > > person to do a jyotish chart for me.  I had a sidereal chart
> > > done in the 1970s but not jyotish.  Robert was an ISKON refugee. >
> > Robert Koch was my second teacher after Brendan left Seattle, WA.
> > I saw both of them at the last seminar Sanjay Rath gave in
> > Sunnyvale, CA.
> >
> > From what I've heard Sanjay's group broke apart due to money
> > dispute. I tried to get some info from one of the organizers.
> > But she would not talk about it.
>
> So you're saying that all these Jyotishi, who you
> are presenting as somewhat advanced, and yourself
> cool because you shared a little of their limelight
> by studying with them, couldn't see a little thing
> like money problems coming when they founded their
> organization?
>
> Sounds a lot like It's A Ride's sig line: "The
> psychic fair has been canceled due to unforeseen
> circumstances."  :-)

Using your post as a starting point for my own little riff -- not challenging
you - I wonder if there is value in predictions that are somewhere in between
A) perfect, Cinemascope/ Technicolor , 3 D predictions of all events in perfect
detail and timing and B) seeing the universe as totally random and having no
clue as to what will happen next. Even if many, perhaps all, jyotishis are
frauds or deluded, it does seem to be unproductive to use a standard of perfect
knowledge upon which to judge them.   Is a doctor a fraud because he says, "you
have a 70% chance of developing heart disease if you continue to smoke, eat
deep fried foods and lots of saturated fats, and don't exercise. Is he a fraud
because he did not predict the precise hour of the heart-attack? And is the 70%
prediction useful?  I tend to think it is.

And for the above psychic fair type of example, could someone know an event is
coming, but not have the ability to stop it? A weatherman is not a fraud for
predicting a hurricane, but not being able to protect his own house from the
storm.

Another point of interest is that since jyotish is a map of the timing and type
of returning karma, and having forewarning of the timing and type of the things
coming down the chute, is a type of karma itself. What if we simply don't have
that particular karma -- to be alerted ahead of the fact that some big dose of
karma is coming soon? Or perhaps we hve the karma to be defrauded, so we are
set up to get duped by charlatan jyotishees. In this case one would always have
a bad experience with jyotish -- but that would not mean all of jyotish is bad.