--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Joe" <geezerfr...@...> wrote:

> Right, my wife is a licensed behavioral therapist, not me,
> so my terms might not be quite right.
>
> However, I really do wonder about this "fine line". Could
> it be that "enlightenment" is nothing more than sanctioned
> and approved paranoid schizophrenia?
>
> If so, did we pay a lot of money and spend a lot of time
> "rounding" in hopes of programming ourselves into a
> permanent state of paranoid schizophrenia?

Naah. Although if one were predisposed to it, I suspect
it could be triggered by long rounding. On the other
hand, it would probably develop at some point anyway.
(Check with Peter on that--he's the professional.)

But when you say "sanctioned and approved," that gets to
an important issue--to what degree is what we call mental
illness simply a different way of experiencing and
responding to the world? To what degree is the dysfunction
of individuals diagnosed with "mental illness" simply a
matter of this difference in experience and response?

Are people who experience the world differently but who
function very well the ones we think of as enlightened?
Should people who are perfectly happy wth the way they
experience the world, even if it's starkly different from
the way most people do, even if it appears dysfunctional,
be considered mentally ill? Or are they mentally ill only
if they're in distress?

It gets all tangled up with philosophy and semantics
and a person's subjective experience versus how the
person appears to others.