--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "jpgillam" <jpgil...@...> wrote:

> I thought you might comment on Maharishi's
> definition of collective consciousness, seeing
> as it's central to any discussion of the Maharishi
> Effect. But funny thing - your request prompted
> me to look for a TM definition of collective
> consciousness, and I could not find one!
>
> Still, the absence of a TM-sanctioned definition
> of collective consciousness doesn't prevent you
> from having your own. I thought you might offer
> up your own take on the phenomenon, however you
> understand it, regardless of how others may
> define it.
>
> Since you ask, I've come to think of
> "consciousness" as my awareness of my non-changing
> self (which is experienced as awareness itself).
> "Collective consciousness," then, would be the
> extend to which a group is aware of a selfhood
> independent of thoughts and feelings.

Nice. However your definition would mean that all men on this planet or in a
spesific area are conscious.

Maharishi refferred to a collective state which He tried to make scientists
adress, the best known example is the research of David Orme-Johnson.

The exploration of Collective Consciousness in the field of science has just
begun, but has been open and a fact to anyone blessed with etheric vision.
These individuals can value the Collective Consciousness from hour to hour and
it's fluctuations based on the level of coherence/entrophy in any given area of
this planet, and indeed other planets.

One day scientists also will be able to accurately measure Collective
Consciousness.

Other uses of the term
Various forms of what might be termed "collective consciousness" in modern
societies have been identified by other sociologists, such as Mary Kelsey,
going from solidarity attitudes and memes to extreme behaviors like groupthink
or herd behavior. Mary Kelsey, sociology lecturer in the University of
California, Berkeley, used the term in the early 2000s to describe people
within a social group, such as mothers, becoming aware of their shared traits
and circumstances, and as a result acting as a community and achieving
solidarity. Rather than existing as separate individuals, people come together
as dynamic groups to share resources and knowledge.

It has also developed as a way of describing how an entire community comes
together to share similar values. This can also be termed "hive mind".
Maharishi Mahesh Yogi, the founder of the Transcendental Meditation program,
used the term to describe how the combined coherence in consciousness of a
group of people could have an influence on the rest of society.