--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Duveyoung <no_re...@...> wrote:

> Dan was special -- way wise beyond his age. Not that he was
> a guru one would seek, but that it was he who sought -- sought
> hearts to engage -- and pushed them faster into depth and clarity.

The same depth and clarity that drove him to
taking his own life?

Edg, I *understand* that you found someone who
was willing to go back and forth with you over
the emotional hyperbole of spirituality, and
that this made a big impression on you. I never
met or interacted with the dude, and I have a
somewhat different impression, based on the
followup to his death, and what has been posted
by him and about him.

I'm seeing more of the "echo chamber effect" I
wrote about earlier, back when Ravi was being
touted as the latest realized being by this
*same* group of discerning seers. The reaction
I'm seeing on BATGAP and to some extent in some
of the posts forwarded to FFL is "protect the
idea that we're realized," along with an IMO
unhealthy dose of "realization is by definition
100% life supporting...it's all good."

Duh. The lesson one should take away from this
whole sad business is IMO more along the lines
of "realizations come and go, they're *not*
inherently all "life-supporting," and sometimes
they need *real* feedback from someone who knows
the pitfalls of spiritual practice and how to
deal with them.

On reflection, I do *not* think that a group of
amateurs dealing with confusing experiences that
they share is the same thing as being in a trad-
ition that has seen this sort of thing for many
centuries, and has learned over those centuries
which of the confusing experiences *are* really
beneficial and which are not. Nothing I have read
in the followups to Daniel's death leads me to
believe that anyone in the satsang group or on
the BATGAP forum has that kind of perspective.

My points all along have been that the desire
to "protect the realization" is not an inherently
safe one. It "works" to create a group who can
feel all cool and realized because no matter what
they say to others around them, they tend to get
reflected back to them a hearty "Yeah...that's
some neat realization all right." But what happens
when someone says something that should trigger
alarm bells in the listeners, and no alarm bells
go off?

I am *not* trying to "assign blame" in this. I
*more* than understand the sense of isolation that
someone who has convinced themselves that they are
"realized" enforce upon themselves. I am merely
pointing out some of the dangers inherent in doing
so, and the dangers of people around them *rein-
forcing* possibly unsound ideas because their
allegiance is still to an unsound piece of dogma:
"Meditation and realization are 100% life-supporting."

Things *can* and *do* "go wrong" along the Way. My
point is that you're not likely to get any real
feedback on whether the experiences you're caught
up in and overwhelmed by are positive or negative
from a group of people who are still committed to
the unsound idea that all of them are positive.

Just my opinion...