--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Hugo" <fintlewoodle...@...> wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "seventhray1" <steve.sundur@> wrote:
>
> Instead what we get is the dogma that iron-age Indians believed
> it so it's true, and worse, now it gets mixed up with victorian
> parlour room seances. Can no-one else spot the contradiction? You
> can't have life after death AND re-incarnation, otherwise you'd
> be talking to someone who's just been born. It makes no sense.

While I agree most heartily with the rest of your coffee
rant, the above is based on a misunderstanding of the
notion of reincarnation and the supposed mechanics thereof.

I don't think that any tradition on the planet that believes
in reincarnation believes that it's "instantaneous," and
that the death of one body is followed by immediate incarnation
in another. There's a "gap," discussed at length in Tibetan
traditions, called the Bardo, a kind of self-defined purgatory
in which the soul-in-transit works through some of its own
lingering issues prior to rebirth. In the Tibetan tradition,
this Bardo period can take a lot longer than nine months to
go on -- sometimes years. Also, there is no perceived problem
with a being *in the Bardo* appearing to the living on some
astral or astral-like plane -- as a ghost, disembodied voice,
etc.

I am *not* declaring these things true. I'm "doing a Judy"
and pointing out that the declaration above is a bit of a
straw man, in that it's refuting reincarnation using a
definition of it that no believer in reincarnation would
ever put forward.