--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, brian64705 <no_re...@...> wrote:

> Thanks!  I searched some of the many blogs that have reposted
> this and NOT ONE has any rebuttal of this story, or update.

Well, you're welcome to repost what I wrote on those blogs
if you think it'll help. (If you do, please omit my name, or
identify me as Swift Loris, which is my handle for blog
comments.)

> don't have a TV so I am glad to hear this guy has just got a
> real case of paranoia. He did report though on young guy said
> his dad worked on the cleanup and that it was far worse than
> the media were reporting.

This was a 15-year-old kid, probably scared by it all,
or enjoying scaring the filmmaker. Who knows where he got
the idea? There has been talk *in the media* that BP was
underestimating the flow, which is accurate, but the
government has had independent scientists estimate it, and
while it's more than was originally estimated, it's not
"vastly" more--and it's being *reported* that it's more,
so that's not a big secret.

This filmmaker guy had only been there less than a day.
It's not surprising there was a lot of hustle and bustle
and tension in the town, because it's one of the big
staging areas for the cleanup, and also has some of the
worst damage from the oil. Folks there would naturally be
on edge and upset.

I wouldn't suggest nothing the guy said was true, but he
was taking bits and pieces and putting them together in
a sensational way that misrepresents what's really going
on.

> The two stories on Anderson Cooper last night were really
> shocking and may be the reason BP stock dropped another
> 19% today. I think the biggest percentage drop since the
> crisis began.
>
> See these links:
> Video: Attorney: BP's 'conduct is criminal'
> http://ac360.blogs.cnn.com/2010/06/08/video-attorney-bps-conduct-is-criminal/
> Video: Rig survivors: BP ordered shortcut on day of blast
> http://ac360.blogs.cnn.com/2010/06/08/video-rig-survivors-bp-ordered-shortcut-on-day-of-blast/

Wow, that second one with the survivors is hard to
watch. I hope they're getting treatment for PTSD,
because they sure look like they're all struggling
with it.

Cooper did an excellent job interviewing them, I
thought, straightforward but gentle, low key.

But...bear in mind that everybody has an axe to grind.
The TV people, especially the cable folks, have an
interest in promoting the Bad BP theme because it
gets them eyeballs. It doesn't hurt to take them with
a grain of salt, including Cooper. Lawyers likewise.

Cooper gets details wrong from time to time. I haven't
seen one TV report or read one print story that is
completely accurate.

BP is a rotten company, and I hope they get what's
coming to them. But that doesn't mean everything
they do is wrong or that all their intentions are
evil or that there are huge conspiracies between
them and the government. As with everything else in
the world, there are shades of gray.

If you're interested in really knowledgeable
discussion of this disaster by oil industry folks--most
of whom are not, to say the least, fans of BP--take a
look at this blog:

http://www.theoildrum.com

I've been hanging out there since the beginning of the
spill, mostly just absorbing. A lot of the discussion
in the comments is way over my head technically, but
enough of it is accessible to the layperson to make it
worthwhile.

The continuing discussion of the spill is just part of
what's on the blog; look for the posts with "BP Deepwater
Oil Spill" in the title. The posts themselves have a lot
of good information, and  there's real meat in the
comments. You won't become an expert, but if you stick
around for a while, you'll know more than about 99
percent of the public does. It's a good place to check
out rumors, too.