I don't want to get into any of the knee-jerk defenses
of faith vs. reason or God vs. things-just-happening;
there is a place for both points of view in the world.
I'm merely reacting to the oft-repeated-as-if-it-were-
true claim that Einstein was a religionist or believed
in God, almost always repeated by God freaks.

T'ain't true. He said some things that mentioned God,
usually as a metaphor for the "laws of nature" as he
perceived them. These quotes have been touted by people
with a God to sell, doing the same thing Maharishi did,
trying to use a public figure to sell their ideas. But
the vast majority of Einstein's quotes in letters and
talks dealt with his *lack* of belief in any kind of
sentient God. His daughter in recent years has released
a number of these letters into the public domain, with
the effect that Einstein's overall position as a rational
humanist with an astounding sense of wonder about the
universe, but without the need to project some kind of
sentience guiding and controlling it, is clear.

Here are a few "balancing" quotes from him. Those who
feel that they need to become angry or lash out at
either him or at me for pointing them out, please
read my recent post on Faith before doing so to get
a feel for what you look like, and what you are demon-
strating about the nature of your faith when you do so.

http://www.positiveatheism.org/hist/quotes/einstein.htm

http://www.atheistempire.com/greatminds/quotes.php?author=9

http://www.spaceandmotion.com/Religions-Atheist-Atheism-Agnostic.htm

Now, that taken care of, as to the question of intuition.
I for one see no problem with intuition being both a
valuable and a valid mechanism, in both life and science.
"Having a feeling" for how something works sometimes
leads scientists to deeper and fuller understanding of
the thing, and how it indeed seems to work. Sometimes
it doesn't, and leads down a blind alley.

The issue, in my opinion, is which one "owes allegiance
to" the most -- one's intuition, or the facts. If the
latter, you're a scientist, and will have no problem
shrugging your shoulders, saying "Ooops...wrong about
that one," and moving on. If the former, you're a
religionist (or a solipsist), and choose to disregard
verifiable, demonstrable facts so that you can persist
in believing the things you want to believe.

While the latter approach is as old as humanity, and
seems to be the Operating System du Jour on this dumb-
and-dumber planet, you're never going to convince me
that it's either a rational approach, or a spiritual
one. My notion of spiritual most closely maps to the
Buddhist one of trying to suss out "What is," without
a lot of "What I've been told is" or "What I'd like
to be" in the way.

Your mileage may vary. And that's OK, if you want to
live your life that way. But don't think for a minute
that you choosing to live your life that way sets any
kind of standard.