I have written before on the difference between talking
the talk of one's spiritual path and walking the walk of
it. And yes, as some have said, I have written about it
enough that they claim to find it boring. I think that a
larger reason than "boring" for the people saying this
might be "I couldn't find a way to refute it the first
time and I can't find one now, so I'm going to call it
'boring' in hopes that he'll stop saying it." :-)

This supposed "meeting of the Trustees" going on right now
in Fairfield is, from my point of view, as boring and pre-
dictable as all other such meetings in the past, and is
probably doomed to having the same effect -- that is, none.
The reason IMO is that they're going to focus on talking
the talk of the supposed benefits of TM and the TMSP, and
pay no attention whatsoever to walking the walk of those
benefits. They'll emerge from this "emergency meeting"
with a rewritten sales brochure, and feel that is enough
to solve the "problem."

The "problem," as I see it, is that these folks have been
in the business of talking the talk so long that they have
forgotten what made TM popular in the first place. It was
*not* the sales brochures; it was the people *passing out*
the sales brochures.

They were *excited* about their lives. They (we) had found
something that (especially in that era) promised "happiness
without the chemical crutch." The sales brochures didn't do
diddley to "sell" TM; it was the 'tude and the vibe of the
TM teachers and TM practitioners of the time that sold TM.
They looked as if they were having fun with their lives.
*That*, IMO, is why people signed up.

Now think of the people who are going to be passing out the
newly-rewritten sales brochures for the modern TM and TMSP
programs. The vast majority of them are 60 years old or
pushing 60, and (based on things said here about Fairfield)
when you see them on the streets and talk to them, it's not
as if they really radiate a great deal of the 'tude or vibe
of having fun with their lives. They may still talk the
talk of TM, but based on reports here, many of them secretly
spend their spare time and available cash going to see every
visiting healer, saint, spiritual teacher and traveling
shakti salesman who comes through town. How walking the
walk of the long-term benefits of TM and the TMSP is that?

Think back to when you were first handed *your* first TM
sales brochure. Did you immediately read it, and dive into
the talking of the talk, or did you look at the person who
handed it to you and do a mental check on whether that
person seemed to walk the walk of what he or she was
trying to sell you?

IMO the TM movement is *WAY* past trying to "fix things" by
doing yet another rewrite on its sales brochures. It seems
to me that there are only four ways that they can "fill the
domes" the way they claim they want to:

1. Pay people enough money to overcome their reluctance to
doing something twice a day that is no fun. (And find other
people *to* pay for it, because the TMO is certainly never
going to pay for it itself.)

2. Come up with another "the world will blow up unless you
don't" emergency and try to run that number again. (And then
watch as everyone ignores it completely.)

3. Pay brown-skinned boys from India to bounce for the people
they can't either pay enough or inspire enough to do it them-
selves. (And again, find someone other than the TMO *to* pay
for it.)

4. Find some way to appeal to youth again, to present a way
to experience "happiness without the chemical crutch" to a
new generation, but in such a way that this new generation
Don't Have To Give Up Their Lives To Experience.

Door Number Four would be cool, and the only approach I see
working, but I don't think it's ever going to happen or even
be considered. The TMO powers that be are too used to being
in power; they are not going to even *consider* an approach
that would take power away from them and curtail their
ability to be control freaks. Having lived the first ten
years of their *own* TM history in relative freedom, being
asked only to meditate and then live their lives the way
they felt like living them, with no heinous rules or
restrictions on their behavior, they are now set on a
path of never granting that same right to young people
who discover TM today.

Instead, they expect these young people to look at *them*,
the tired old people passing out the carefully-rewritten
sales brochures, and actually be *inspired* by what they
see. They want their lives to be regarded as walking the
walk of enlightenment and embodying the energy needed to
change the world. But the kids they're handing these sales
brochures to are looking past the sales brochures at the
tired, control-freak old farts passing them out and think-
ing, "They want me to turn out like THAT? And PAY them
for the privilege? Not gonna happen."