On Jul 13, 2010, at 1:22 PM, Mike Dixon wrote:

I hate to say this, but when I was in India, at Jyotir Math, the friend I was with, swore to me the monk baby sitting the place, told him that the current Shankaracharya, forget his name, was M's son! At the time, I laughed it off as a missunderstanding, but in light of what I've read on FFL, I have to wonder if it's not true. He, the current Shank, does resemble a younger M. What a Soap Opera that would make!

Think about it Mike: there's a huge caste problem with that theory. Indians are extremely caste-conscious. The second you utter your surname, you're "pegged". The Shankaracharya Order is extremely Brahmin-centric. No other castes need apply. No other castes would be teaching in that tradition, let alone standing as one of it's line- holders.